JohnT54
1 Copper

Windows 7 installation disk

Jump to solution

I have been searching for a link to download the windows 7 iso to create an installation disk.

I have not been successful so far.

Inspiron 660

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

RE: Windows 7 installation disk

Jump to solution

The problem is that Microsoft broke the Digital Distribution of Windows 7 and replaced it with the non-functional Microsoft Software Recovery Tool. There is no means of downloading a .iso for the Dell Windows 7 OEM license.

If you have working factory settings you can create Recovery Media using Dell Backup and Recovery as demonstrated here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery/

Factory settings aren't equivalent to a clean install but when Windows 10 is out in late summer (which is a free upgrade for Windows 7 users) a .iso should be provided for clean installation.

Otherwise as you are in the US. If your system is in warranty you may procure installation media from Dell going to:

www.dell.com/recoverymedia

Unfortunately most Windows 7 systems will have expired warranty and Dell are making it difficult to procure installation media simply because of Microsoft's policies.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
JohnT54
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for the thorough explanation...at least now I know. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Jump to solution

JohnT54,

You can click the links below for possible Windows 7 iso downloads.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/where-can-i-download-wind...

The link below is Dell Rockstar Natakuc's website with lots of great information.

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
JohnT54
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

The link no longer has the information there but does provide another link to a page for software recovery.

www.microsoft.com/.../software-recovery

I had previously tried this site and after entering my license I was instructed to contact Dell.

So here I am in a loop.  No help from Dell.  No help from Microsoft.

Inspiron 660

Win 7 64x

0 Kudos
JohnT54
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

The link no longer has the information there but does provide another link to a page for software recovery.

www.microsoft.com/.../software-recovery

I had previously tried this site and after entering my license I was instructed to contact Dell.

So here I am in a loop.  No help from Dell.  No help from Microsoft.

Inspiron 660

Win 7 64x

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

The problem is that Microsoft broke the Digital Distribution of Windows 7 and replaced it with the non-functional Microsoft Software Recovery Tool. There is no means of downloading a .iso for the Dell Windows 7 OEM license.

If you have working factory settings you can create Recovery Media using Dell Backup and Recovery as demonstrated here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery/

Factory settings aren't equivalent to a clean install but when Windows 10 is out in late summer (which is a free upgrade for Windows 7 users) a .iso should be provided for clean installation.

Otherwise as you are in the US. If your system is in warranty you may procure installation media from Dell going to:

www.dell.com/recoverymedia

Unfortunately most Windows 7 systems will have expired warranty and Dell are making it difficult to procure installation media simply because of Microsoft's policies.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
JohnT54
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for the thorough explanation...at least now I know. 

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Glad it helped. 🙂

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
smush
1 Copper

Jump to solution

There are several ways to put windows 7 on a strange machine but you have to have a boot disk that matches the ISO Ver. but you have to do a good search for the right 'ISO' that has a phone activation protocall 

I Have a Inspiron 560 and I found a way to re install windows 7 home pre and activate with my cell phone     Good Luck

0 Kudos