Windows General

Last reply by 12-15-2009 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
3 Argentum

Windows 7 is shipping

Just an update for those who are waiting for there Windows 7 update.  I just got an e-mail saying that my upgrade kit has been shipped.  I too had no status on my order on the Window 7 Upgrade Program site.  But I just received my shipment confirmation.  So, just have some patience, yours is probably on its way.

UPDATE 10/28/09

If you have a tracking # but are unable to track, see my post here:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19301197.aspx

Replies (54)
3 Argentum

That's good to know, since many of us haven't received our upgrade yet, it's really hard to say what is what.  We have just been going off instructions we could find.  But thanks for the info.

It really wasn't as much of misunderstanding, a to my part, as it was a clarification.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

[quote user="todd_l"]

You can do a fresh install, either by:

1.  Boot up in Vista, insert disk, and select "Custom Installation" at the first screen.

2.  Boot directly to the upgrade disk.

I'm still trying to figure out if there is really any difference between the 2 methods.

People seem to have misunderstood the question. Both routes will give you a custom install, the different I can see is that the first option actually runs within vista until the installation starts - this means that you cannot make changes to hard drive partitions as the OS is still using the hard drive. The second option doesn't look quite as fancy but gives you more options to delete partitions etc.

I prefer the second option - worked fully using the upgrade disk (I didn't bother with the "upgrade assistant" as looking through the disk it's only useful if you are doing an in place upgrade). I have installed a full retail copy on another PC and there was no difference between that and the dell disk.

Hope that helps someone.

[/quote]

He Iransome,

Just to clarify all I have to do is 1.) turn off my computer 2.) boot from the dell windows 7 operating disc (not the upgrade assistance drivers disc). 3.) install windows 7???   Will my copy be activated? Can I completely delete my vista partition during this clean install?  Do I ever have to insert the Dell Upgrade Assistance/Driver DVD?    Thanks for the help

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

He Iransome,

Just to clarify all I have to do is 1.) turn off my computer 2.) boot from the dell windows 7 operating disc (not the upgrade assistance drivers disc). 3.) install windows 7???   Will my copy be activated? Can I completely delete my vista partition during this clean install?  Do I ever have to insert the Dell Upgrade Assistance/Driver DVD?    Thanks for the help

Hi. To clarify:

The dell upgrade assistance DVD scans your PC for software which is incompatable with the Windows 7 upgrade procedure and uninstalls it for you if there is any, it suggests that this is to avoid problems if you go for the in place upgrade procedure. In my eyes totally unrequired if you are doing a custom / clean install.

The dell "OS" disk looks like the disk you would get with a dell OEM PC, however it operates exactly the same as my full retail copy of windows 7. I put the disk in, rebooted straight to the disk and ran through the full custom install procedure, deleting all partitions and starting fresh. When it came to the product key section, there is a windows sticker on the DVD case with the key on it. After the installation i booted into my fresh copy of windows and clicked the "Validate" option in control panel, and it validated online straight away.

Enjoy =D

3 Argentum

Also, just a side note.  If you are reinstalling software after your clean install, you can go here Windows 7 Compatibility Center to see if the software & hardware you are installing is compatible with Windows 7.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Windows 7 is shipping? Really? Anyone seen my copy?

Originally the estimated shipping date said 3rd November. Now (after changing most weeks) its at 23rd December. Can we believe anything which Dell 'estimates'?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor