Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2010 08:00

Windows 7 machine goes to sleep or hibernation mode literally while using the computer and won't wake up.

About 2 weeks ago my computer started going into sleep/hibernation mode when I was in the middle of using the computer.  I've turned all the hibernation and sleep mode settings, so the computer should stay on until the power goes out or I physically turn it off.  However the computer still turns off while I'm using it.  I bought this computer from Dell about 4 months ago, so it's really new.  I don't think this is a hardware issue, I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that it's completely a Windows problem.  So can anyone lead me in the right direction to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Mark

• 

16.7K Posts

October 29th, 2010 11:00

darkmatter,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

It sounds like it could be a video card driver. Have you installed any drivers for the card lately?

October 29th, 2010 12:00

No I haven't, but now that you say that I have recently been getting an error saying that there is a driver incompatibility error.  I just haven't had time to research and resolve it.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll make time and look into it.

November 1st, 2010 19:00

Well I'm running on Ubuntu right now and have been for about an hour.  Updated Ubuntu, watched some video, monitor's still on.  I guess it's Window 7 or the driver, I'm using Dells recommended driver now, so I'm lost as to what I should do next.

Someone help please, I want my Windows 7 back.

November 1st, 2010 19:00

Okay I have the Nvidia GTS 240 video card in computer having the problems.  This afternoon I updated the driver to the 64-bit version listed on Dells support site.  About 10 minutes later, while watching a video on youtube, the monitor goes black again and it says entering enegery save mode.  This time I had audio running when the video went out.  While the video went out and was black, I could still hear the audio playing.  So what's plan B?

I also have Ubuntu instaled along side Window 7, so I'm going to go boot into Ubuntu and let it run for a while and see if the video goes out in Ubuntu.  If it doesn't then it's not the monitor and must be Windows or the Windows driver.

Any ideas?

No Events found!