Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2009 18:00

Windows 7 product key confusion

I bought a new Dell with Windows 7 preinstalled, a couple of weeks ago.  Today, I installed and ran Belarc Advisor ver 8.1h, which is compatible with x64 Win7 (try it; it's cool).

Belarc tells me the OS product key is: 00359-OEM-89.....etc.....(Key: 6RBBT-F8VPQ-Q........etc......) and points out that this is the OEM key, not MY 'real' key, and gives a link where it can be updated:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=45668

So, I go there, and it says to click Start / right-clk Computer / Properties, and at the bottom, where the "validated" OEM key is shown, there should be a link to a place to update the key.  Well, there's no link there on my properties!

If there were a link there, I might enter the wrong key anyway, since on my PC the COA says it's BXRDC-8G36Y....blah, blah, but on the CD Dell included, in case I need to reinstall, the key says: US-OR7XD1-xxxxx-xxx-xxxx.

So, IF I ever find out that I should, and how to, update it, should I use the key on the COA? Is that the one I should keep track of, in case I ever do reinstall from that CD?  Or, would I use the one on the CD to validate a reinstall, and then send MS my first-born to assure them that I didn't steal the whole mess?!!  :emotion-5:       

2.7K Posts

December 28th, 2009 19:00

Hi

Your DVD is a Win 7 OEM disk you just use it to reinstall your 7 OS if you ever need it  you do not need to use any other key because the disk is tied to the Dell

bios and it should never ask for a key to reinstall your 7 OS.

The OEM key that shows up Properties is the valid key you do not need to update to any other key !

Good Luck

28 Posts

December 28th, 2009 20:00

Hi

Your DVD is a Win 7 OEM disk you just use it to reinstall your 7 OS if you ever need it  you do not need to use any other key because the disk is tied to the Dell

bios and it should never ask for a key to reinstall your 7 OS.

The OEM key that shows up Properties is the valid key you do not need to update to any other key !

Good Luck

Well, alright, Jerry. Thanks. That's simple enough, but I'm still left to wonder why that key is put onto the case on the COA. Never will need it for anything, right?  Is the COA just a throwback to the old days, or what?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

cwaynesmith,

For me to upgrade this computer, Dell sent me a Windows 7 OEM Disk with the product key. I did not enter the product key and after three days, it started asking me for the product key. I used the product key listed on the sleve and I now have mine activated.

If you need to enter the new product key, Windows 7 should ask for it. The older systems would get the product key from the motherboard, so no product key would be needed. 

You can usualy enter a different product key at...

Start, control panel, system.

Rick

28 Posts

You can usualy enter a different product key at...

Start, control panel, system.

Thanks, Rick.  The method you suggest brings up the very same page that I mentioned - Computer/properties, and there's no link, on mine.

I'm just going to leave well-enough alone, and if it ever asks, I guess I'll answer.

2.7K Posts

December 28th, 2009 21:00

Hi

I do not know to muck about the key and the COA on the computer case but i do know you do not need a key to reinstall the Dell OS on your computer.

The COA from what i understand it says your computer is entitled to run the 7 OS that came with your computer .

Maybe someone with a better knowledge of the COA sticker can help out here.  

Good Luck

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 28th, 2009 22:00

C3PO5,

I think the computers that were offered the upgrade have a Vista Product Key so since they're upgrading from Vista to Windows 7, a new product key is needed to activate Windows 7. If the computer came with Windows 7 it most likely has the product key on the motherboard, like Dell always does.

As long as he doesn't get the message about the operation system might not be genuine, then he doesn't have to worry about it.

Rick

No Events found!