Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2009 16:00

Windows 7 upgrade tips for Inspiron 1420

Hi,

I just finished upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit from Vista 32-bit (which came with my machine) on my Inspiron 1420, by using the custom installation from a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade disc.  I was kind of intimidated about necessity of 64-bit driver since there is no 64-bit support option on Dell's website.  So having gone through it successfully now, I thought I would share how I did it for those who may be thinking about the upgrade.

Chipset, Audio and 3945abg Wireless:

Although Dell does not list support for 64-bit drivers for the Inspiron 1420 on its driver homepage, there are three drivers on that page that do support both Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit.  These drivers are for the Intel Chipset, Sigmatel Audio and the Intel 3945abg wireless card.  Note that the Inspiron 1420 booted fine for the first time after the Win7 OS was installed, and the wireless card and audio were functioning with the Win7 native drivers.  So the Dell drivers are not absolutely necessary.  However, I decided to install the Dell chipset and wireless drivers from the 1420 driver page in case they would be more efficient.

Touchpad and Quickset:

Now, Dell's 1420 driver page does not have 64-bit drivers that may be used for the touchpad, quickset functions (external audio buttons) or video card.  After booting Win7, I found that my touchpad lacked the scroll features and only the mute button for quickset worked.  However, no quickset graphic popped up when the quickset buttons were used either.  Fortunately, Dell provides touchpad and quickset drivers for Windows 7 64-bit for the Inspiron 1545.  I downloaded and installed these drivers with success.  As far as I can tell, the scroll features and external quickset buttons function fully with the 1545 drivers.

Video Card:

Finally, the video card.  I have the NVIDIA 8400M GS.  In the past, I do not believe that the nvidia website offered support for this card.  In any case, there is a Windows 7 64-bit driver on their website that supports this card and worked for me.  Note that the nvidia website recommends updating the bios of the computer to version, A09 (available on Dell's driver page).  I had updated to the newest bios, version A10, and the driver seems to be compatible with this version.

For what it's worth, I also installed 2x2GB (for 4GB total) of DDR2 RAM prior to the install, and the OS recognizes all 4GB.

I hope this helps some other Inspiron users who may be interested in upgrading their OS.  Although I have not used the OS a whole lot yet, the machine seems completely stable and functions well. Good luck!

9 Posts

February 13th, 2012 01:00

The card reader - I haven't tested that.  Will give that a whirl.

9 Posts

February 14th, 2012 03:00

It's not the card reader.  Plugged in an SD card and it got a drive letter and displayed the empty card no problems.  And since I have a device showing under Modems in the Device Manager, I'm not sure it's that either.

I installed from a W7 disk, not SP1, but it has been fully updated.  I also flashed the BISO to A10.  Other drivers are:

Audio - R171786.exe

Touchpad - R270497.exe

Webcam - R174082.exe

WLan - Dell_multi-device_A17_R17492.exe

Guess I will have to work through your list - indeed I will probably reinstall W7 first, I think I have an SP1 download somewhere.

6 Posts

February 14th, 2012 08:00

As far as I know, this is mostly the bluetooth module. Try downloading the drivers from the link posted below:

http://downloads.dell.com/network/R142183.EXE

Before installing, make sure you run the setup in Vista compatibility mode. To do that, extract the downloaded package, go inside the 32-bit or 64-bit setup folder, right-click on the setup.exe and run it in Vista compatibility mode, and it will do the magic.

Do let me know if you are still having trouble.

6 Posts

February 14th, 2012 08:00

Also, do download the drivers setup CD link posted by me earlier. Its a 4shared.com link that when downloaded will have all the drivers, they are a combination of some taken from Dell's website and some from the manufacturer's website.

For example, the touchpad driver posted by me enables chiral motion which is not supported by Dell officially.

9 Posts

February 16th, 2012 00:00

Ah - would have to use my mobile to check a Bluetooth connection.  I hadn't actually realised it has one.  My touchpad does have chiral motion enabled according to the driver I loaded though I've had to look up how to use it! 

But I will probably have another go before I either sell the laptop or buy it a W7 licence.

9 Posts

February 17th, 2012 04:00

Don't think it has a bluetooth module - installing the driver gets stuck at "Activate Bluetooth using Wireless switch" and whislt the Wifi light is light, the bluetooth one isn't and switching off & on fails to trigger the installation into continuing.

Suspect I now need to try the list above one at a time until all the yellow triangles have gone.

9 Posts

February 17th, 2012 05:00

Problem fixed when I installed the Ricoh driver from the list above.

9 Posts

February 17th, 2012 05:00

And on installing the rest of the drivers, I find I have a later driver than the video one - but I'm not sure if I found a download or it came from Windows.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 17th, 2012 11:00

Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 might of already included it. Your system is fully functional now? No errors in the device manager?

9 Posts

February 19th, 2012 03:00

Somewhere along the line I think W7 download a video driver - the DVD I have is pre-SP1 but I did download all the new drivers Windows Update offered me.  System seems to be fully functional, no yellow triangles, so I think I can call it a success.  Am planning to have another go, starting with an SP1 DVD - I downloaded the image a while back.

Then I have to decide if I'm going to Ebay it (in which case I hope I can put Vista back!) or keep it, and I will need to buy a W7 for it if I do that.

9 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 04:00

Am planning a second attempt using this list, after downloading an SP1 ISO tonight from Digital River, but at what point should I run Windows Update?  Step 1a?  Step 2a?  Running the updates will install IE9.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 22nd, 2012 11:00

To be honest I generally prefer installing the standalone version of Internet Explorer 9 before the drivers, I have it and the drivers saved in order on my USB stick.

With respect to Windows Update I wouldn't connect to the Internet until the installation of Windows, the standalone Service Packs/Internet Explorer 9 and the drivers are complete. I would add security to that list also. When connecting to the internet, first priority should be installing a security program and/or activation. In actual fact is better to have your security program installed with the latest definitions prior to connecting to the internet; that way you never have a completely exposed computer. This step is wise for Windows 7 and more so with a Windows XP installation. I for example download Microsoft Security Essentials and the latest definitions to my USB stick alongside the drivers and install both of these before connecting to the Internet. I would put this subtle step in but I understand many people reading my wikies will use a different Security Program and some of these may require internet connections to install.

However in my usual particular case I generally then install:
• Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1*
• Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Standalone**
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 Standalone**
• Dell system Drivers (in correct order)
• Microsoft Security Essentials and its Latest Definitions
• Microsoft Office 2010 with Service Pack 1
• Microsoft Office Visio 2010 with Service Pack 1
• Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 with Service Pack 1
• Microsoft Mathematics
• Mathtype
• Activate Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office Products
• Install Microsoft Zune (because I have a Windows 7 Phone)
• Windows Update (several times with reboots) to update all Microsoft Products
• Look at the custom updates to get some of the Windows Live Services such as Mesh and Silverlight.

** only if * doesn't include SP1/IE9. Office 2010, Office Visio 2010, Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1s can be obtained via Windows Update without impairing performance.

So step 13¾ in my case or step 14 or 15 in a guide. Note Internet Explorer 9 can of course be obtained via Windows Update opposed to installing the standalone version but I think it works slightly better when the standalone version is installed immediately after Windows Service Pack 1.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2012 12:00

For SigmaTel audio correct functioning on Win 7 (especially Microphone) You need audio driver higher than A06.

I had tested with A09 (R171788) and everything goes fine.

R171788 can fix audio issue for Inspiron 1420 (as well as for other models based on SigmaTel Audio) when using Windows 7.
Otherwise, You'll get horrible microphone (in Skype and in other apps too).
For web based flash app recordings right click on flash, choose settings, gi to mic settings and choose reduce echo.

hope my post will help someone.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2012 21:00

hi I have installed a fresh win7 os and follow all instructions about the installation including the video card went well, but my fan blow that release heat from my laptop stop I don't know what went wrong and temp on laptop went to 67-78c and my screen starting to black out 3 times already need help!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 23rd, 2012 14:00

It sounds like a hardware issue. Have you used a can of compressed air to clean the vents? Also a cooling pad? However has your fan completely went, is it running in the BIOs?

No Events found!