Notek5150
1 Copper

Windows 8 Home to Windows 7 - How?

I bought a new computer for my dad (80yrs old), his old computer was XP operating system. He cannot figure out how to use Windows 8, it is much to different and complicated from his old system. I know that Windows 8 pro is downgradeable. How can I downgrade a Windows 8 Home?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
theflash1932
6 Indium

Re: Windows 8 Home to Windows 7 - How?

"How can I downgrade a Windows 8 Home?"

Purchase a Windows 7 license.

0 Kudos
DELL-Allan D
4 Ruthenium

Hello Notek5150,

As you have rightly said, Windows 8 Pro can be downgraded to Windows 7. However, the option for downgrading Windows 8 Home to Windows 7 is unavailable. Hence as theflash1932 has said, you would have to get a retails version of Windows 7. 

**NOTE: It is advised to create the recovery disks for Windows 8 before installing Windows 7 for future references.  

Hope this helps!

Thanks & Regards
Allan D
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USIndia. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click "Yes".

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

The Windows 8 UI is pretty awful on non-touchscreen PCs.

To downgrade you would need top purchase an additional Windows 7 Home Premium license which can be costly.

My Windows Reinstallation Guide will instruct you in how to perform a clean installation of Windows 7:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

Before committing to a complete clean installation and spending money on an additional license. You should consider installing some free 3rd party addins. This will restore the lost functionality removed from Windows 8. Due to popular demand there is a note on page 1 of this guide linking to the section on Desktop Enhancements for Windows 8.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
kirkd
5 Rhenium

Your Dad should be able to use Win 8 in the Desktop mode and ignore the Metro mode. It is really not that different from XP. Many at our retirement community have made the switch with little problem.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
7 Gold

Adding to what KirkD mentioned, have you tried one of the apps that makes Windows 8 look like Windows 7? Start8™ for Windows® 8 is very popular. I think it is $4.99, but people who are using it seem to think it is worth it. Others in that article are free.

This excellent video by Dell may also help. I've printed that chart for children learning Windows 8.

If you still want to downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7 Pro, here is some information from PC Mag to consider: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417359,00.asp

Also please review Dell info and Microsoft Downgrade Rights.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you need additional information.

Windows Insider MVP 2016 - Present

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016

Social Media and Community Professional

0 Kudos