Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2013 11:00

Windows 8 – error message, automatic restart and then it just freezes.

Hello, everyone. I’ve just bought a brand new Dell Inspiron 15z with Windows 8 installed from the factory and now I’m facing issues. 

I was having problems with my wi-fi network repeatedly (even though the network was working just fine on other devices) and was having to restart the computer over and over every once in a while to get the signal back. On one of those times the computer was taking some while (over 10 minutes) like it was processing something but nothing happened and I’ve decided to shut it down directly on the power button.

After that the laptop would go to the Dell logo screen and then start directly with the sad face and the message that there was an error and that it would try to repair it automatically. The computer would then restart by itself, go to the Dell logo screen and freeze there forever… This is the error message:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Error code: 0xc000000f

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Can anyone help me?

I have the CD from the factory (Dell Drivers & Utilities) and I guess all I need is in it but I don’t know how to proceed after putting the CD on. I initiate from the CD and then it goes to an environment that looks like MS-DOS but it’s not and then I’m stuck.

Ideal world would be to recover the OS and use the PC again normally but if this is not possible I won’t bother to just format and reinitialize the whole thing, it’s a pain in the ass to configure everything again but at least I have backup from my files on another computer already.

BTW, I ran the full diagnosis and it hasn’t indicated any hardware problems. And I didn’t install any odd software (seriously, nothing at all, so that was not the problem) as well. Like I said it’s a brand new computer (over 2 months now), was using for nearly a month when it happened.

I deeply thank in advance for anyone who can help me solve this. I bought the computer in US and it takes a long time and bureaucracy to transfer the warranty to my country (Brazil) so meanwhile I can’t use my computer nor get proper support here… =/

P.S: sorry for my poor English. Hope you can understand me. Thanks once again.

May 12th, 2013 09:00

I GOT IT!

Went to sleep at 5am, but i did it!

I was trying to do this steps that you told me, but I couldn't complete neither the restore, refresh or reset option. I got some error message saying that my hdd was locked and I needed to unlock it.

So, here is what I did:

1) Turn on the laptop and keep pressing F2.

2) BIOS: change the SATA OPERATION from smart response technology to AHCI

Disable rapid storage Technology

Disable secure boot

3) Save and exit. The system will restart.

4) Using an usb pendrive with windows 8 in it (you can use a cd/dvd too), choose the boot option (im my case, usb).

5) Choose "restore computer".

6) go to troubleshoot, then, advanced options.

7) NOOOW i could RESTORE my laptop. It took a while and at the end it performed some uptades.

Well, I guess this is it.

Thanks everyone that helped me out here!

I hope this can help some other people.

Ah... when you finally got the laptop to work, it will show a REAL SLOW PERFORMANCE.

don't worry... just do you backups (just to be sure), restart you computer, keep pressing F2 and change the BIOS setting to default.

Save, exit, enjoy!

1.5K Posts

April 30th, 2013 02:00

Hi victorpedro,

It seems the issue occurred because Windows was not able to finish the updates. However, making some changes in the BIOS settings should make it up and running. You may follow the steps below:

• Enter system BIOS by tapping 3-4 times at Dell logo and go to ‘Advanced’
  • Go to ‘SATA Operations’ and change it from ‘Intel Smart Response Technology’ to ‘AHCI’
  • Press to ‘Save Changes and Exit’
  • The system will try to reboot and gives an error message, restart the system and enter BIOS again.
  • Go to ‘SATA Operations’ and change it back to ‘Intel Smart Response Technology’ from ‘AHCI’
  • Press to ‘Save Changes and Exit’
  • The system should able to boot now.

Please ensure you update the system BIOS and run the Windows Updates once the system is able to boot. To update BIOS, you may refer to the link: http://dell.to/ZZokQ8

You may try refreshing the system, if the above steps don’t work. Please follow the steps below:

• Shut down the computer
  • Power On the system
  • Power Off the system at Dell Logo with “rolling dots” at the bottom of the screen
  • Repeat the above steps 2-3 times
  • Click ‘Troubleshoot’
  • Click ‘Refresh’ to refresh the system

*Note: The apps that came with your PC or you installed from Windows Store will be reinstalled, but any apps you installed from other websites and DVDs will be removed. Windows puts a list of the removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further questions.

April 30th, 2013 12:00

Hi. So, first step didn’t work. Dell logo screen comes up later with a message “Preparing automatic repair” and then it goes to an error message.

Then second step wasn’t working as well because the computer is so fast that it was loading the error message before powering off. Then I was going to try one more time the first step and after changing to AHCI the first time I get to the Troubleshoot section!

First I select refresh system but get another error message: “The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.”

And it gives me only a “cancel” option to get back.

I went back to the menu and tried to reset the system. I got another error message: “Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing.”

And it gives me only a “cancel” option to get back.

So I tried first step again to see if I could get the second step again (this time with “Intel Smart Response Technology” chosen) but couldn’t get to the troubleshoot page anymore. =/

Any thoughts? Thanks a lot for your support.

1.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 06:00

Hi victorpedro,

Please provide me the Service Tag and the name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so I may access your records and check for further course of action.

I would be glad to assist you further.

10 Posts

May 5th, 2013 19:00

same problem here!

1.5K Posts

May 6th, 2013 12:00

Hi Syerino,

Please share the system model and the operating system installed on the system. Also, let me know if you have performed any troubleshooting steps.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist.

10 Posts

May 6th, 2013 15:00

Hi,

inspiron 15z ultrabook and I sent it to transform to fix it costs me 90.40dollars

1.5K Posts

May 8th, 2013 12:00

Hi Syerino,

Please share the operating system and the exact issue you are facing with the system. Let me know if you are getting any error messages. Have you run the hardware diagnostics on the system as mentioned above?

Please share the warranty status of the system, to check for the warranty; you may visit the link below:

http://dell.to/N6u34S.

Click on ‘Warranty’ tab to check for the warranty status. Ideally, if the system is covered under warranty, you don't have to pay for the service.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist further.

May 10th, 2013 09:00

Victor, estou com o mesmo problema que você.

Ocorreu depois que eu baixei a tela (e ele deve ter tentado hibernar) e pouco tempo depois abri.

Ele ficou com a tela preta e acabei forçando o desligamento, segurando o botão power.

Depois disso, começou o problema!

Você conseguiu corrigir o problema?

for anyone that could help me out here...

I'm with the very same problem! =/

Any ideas of how to fix?

1.5K Posts

May 10th, 2013 11:00

Hi Bruno Portela,

Please share the system model and the exact error that you come across with when you power on the system. Also let me know if you made any hardware or software changes before the issue begins.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist.

May 10th, 2013 12:00

Hi, I have an Inspiron 15z. I did not make any hardware or software changes. The error started when I closed the ultrabook and, after a short time (1 minute, maybe), raised the screen again. Then the screen was all black for a long time and I forced it to shut down, by pressing the power button. Adter that, the ultrabook goes restarting and showing a blue screen with a sad face. Also there is some error message that I cant read, cuz its too fast!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 10th, 2013 13:00

Bruno Portela,

Please continue with DELL-Amogh G

Press F2 and enter the BIOS.

Disable fast boot

Disable secure boot

Enable Legacy boot

Save and exit.

See if you can start the computer in the safe mode.

Windows 8 shutdown to bring up troubleshooting mode

or

How To Boot Into Windows 8 Safe Mode

If you get it started, try Safe mode with networking. Download Resplendence WhoCrashed and install it. Open it, click the analize button and copy and past the information back here so DELL-Amogh G can tell you how to correct the problem.

Rick

Working together with DELL-Amogh G to help solve the problem.

May 10th, 2013 14:00

Did not work.

Still on the same situation =/

1.5K Posts

May 11th, 2013 11:00

Hi Bruno Portela,

I would suggest you to run hardware diagnostics on the system for hardware functionality, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error

If the diagnostics passed, you may try refreshing the system. Please follow the steps below:

• Shut down the computer
  • Power On the system
  • Power Off the system at Dell Logo with “rolling dots” at the bottom of the screen
  • Repeat steps 2-3 times so that it starts automatic repair
  • Let automatic repair finish and then click ‘Troubleshoot’
  • Click ‘Refresh’ and follow the on screen instructions.

*Note: The apps that came with your PC or you installed from Windows Store will be reinstalled, but any apps you installed from other websites and DVDs will be removed. Windows puts a list of the removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further.

1.5K Posts

May 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi Bruno Portela,

I am delighted the issue has been resolved. I really appreciate your technical expertise and all the efforts you put in to resolve the issue.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist you. 

No Events found!