Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 15th, 2012 08:00

Windows 8 or Windows 7? What do you prefer?

[poll]

21 Posts

December 28th, 2012 15:00

HP has some Windows 7 PC's available on their website. While Dell does, too, you're not allowed to custome configure the hardware (Alienware is overpriced and thus doesn't count, IMO). :(

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 28th, 2012 15:00

Dell is NOT the only OEM with limited availability of Windows 7 machines.  I think Microsoft "encourages" OEM's to push Windows 8.  So, it does little good to get upset with Dell, when they are doing what everyone else is doing - except for if you have greater expectations of Dell than the likes of HP, Lenovo, etc.  

Currently, 20% of HP laptops are configurable with Windows 7 ... 30% of Dell laptops are configurable with Windows 7.

445 Posts

December 30th, 2012 09:00

I was going to wait and buy my Aurora R4 around Christmas, but because I knew Dell would be putting Windows 8 on everything that came out the door, I bought it early so I could have Windows 7. I had played around with the pre-release version of Windows 8 and hated it. My granddaughter who is a collage student bought a new laptop about the time windows 8 was released and it had windows 8 on it. Her and the two other young ladies in her dorm room hated it also. The store where she bought the computer still had a couple with Windows 7, so she returned the Windows 8 laptop and got one with 7 even though she had to pay more because it was a better laptop. So it's just not us old toads who don't care for change who don't like Windows 8. I have not talked to anyone who really likes Windows 8. I think it's going to be another Windows Me.

21 Posts

December 31st, 2012 14:00

I noticed on the Dell Asia-Pacific sales sites that they are still selling Windows 7. What I'd like to know is why we aren't afforded the same courtesy here in the States. That's just wrong!

4 Posts

January 6th, 2013 23:00

Unless and until PC games start working properly and clearly in Windows 8, I'm NOT touching it! It'll probably take M.S. around a month or two before they can get an update for the graphics problem in 8.

2 Posts

January 10th, 2013 15:00

I don't like Win 8 at all - will stick with Win 7.  I just bought an Inspiron 660 before I understood the difficulty of removing Win 8 and installing Win 7; now I have to investigate a return or major effort to install Win 7.

21 Posts

January 10th, 2013 16:00

I believe that is because there is an option you have to change in the UEFI startup utility that locks the PC into using Windows 8. Turn that toggle off, and you should be able to install Windows 7.

2 Posts

January 16th, 2013 08:00

I just got this Inspirion 17r SE in last night and I like to think I'm open minded with change but I can't stand Windows 8 so far. I will be giving it a fair chance. If it does not pan out I guess I'll be sending it back. I wish they gave you an option to get Windows 7 I would have gone this route at least I knwo my work apps would work right off the bat.

347 Posts

February 24th, 2013 06:00

Yes you can I did it.  I bought a laptop for my son and used my Dell Preferred Account to buy it no problem.  Is this something that just started?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 1st, 2013 23:00

Windows 7 remains separately available.

27 Posts

April 21st, 2013 10:00

When my aunt needed a new laptop, we ordered what we thought was a great deal from Dell..  It was an Inspiron 3520.  It had Win8 on it.  :emotion-9:    I had to learn it before I could teach her, and I thought, who in the Substitute character removed as per TOU> would want this crap?   I suppose my brain is one of those that is hard wired to do things by auto pilot, but after three weeks of setting it up, dealing the bugs, Library Files being a big one, playing with it and getting it to where she could feel fairly comfortable with it, I still hated it.   What's more, my aunt hates it too!   She has had it now for 4 months and asked me if I can uninstall Win8 and install win7 on it?  I don't know.  Can I?  I have an Inspiron 1545 running Vista and ahppen to have my Vsta OS on disk, can I un-install Win8 from her 64 bit Win8 laptop and install my 32 bit Vista OS on hers?   Or can we only swap 64 bit to 64 bit?  If I can install Win7, is there any safe, free version available or do we have to buy it?   Just seems like our great deal is running into $$$$.    I really really Hate Win8.  

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 21st, 2013 11:00

Since it is an Inspiron it means Windows 8 was installed on it and not Windows 8 Professional. Therefore you have no downgrade rights to Windows 7.

You must purchase an additional license to use Windows 7.

You cannot use your Dell Windows Vista Reinstallation DVD as you won't be licensed.

If you are going to install Windows 7 the best solution is to purchase the OEM or System builders version of Windows 7 from the likes of Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986 as its the cheapest and an upgrade license isn't eligible (although many users regard 7 as an upgrade to 8). Note the Windows 7 OEM license is non-transferable and will always be tied to the original machine you install it on which is fine for most people. The retail full version is more expensive at about twice the price with the only advantage being that it can be transferred from an old PC to a new PC. 

My Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7 will help you with respect to the installation. Ensure you make the Dell DataSafe recovery media just in case:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

Note also you may wish to try installation of Start8 and Modernmix. These will make Windows 8 act more like Windows 7, you can evaluate both for 30 days and to pay they are $5 each but much cheaper than a Windows 7 license.

27 Posts

April 24th, 2013 16:00

Thank you for giving your time and expertise to help those of us who need it!   You are appreciated more than you know!  I'll save this info, links.. until we decide which way to proceed.

21 Posts

April 24th, 2013 17:00

I would like to add, for those who don't know what ModernMix is: ModernMix is a program that Startdock created to allow people to use Windows 8 apps in desktop mode... in a windows... no full screen required.

If Microsoft had done this and kept the start menu, no one would have batted an eye at a new PC purchase. I still think Dell is making a mistake by not allowing people to choose from Windows 7 or 8 on ALL of their PC's, but that's just me. :emotion-11:

At any rate, thank you for the poll. It seems a lot of people want Windows 7, and urge Dell to allow the choice in their PC lineup online.

9 Posts

May 1st, 2013 03:00

I am still using an approximately ten year old Dell desktop: Dimension 2350. It has had some upgrades and repairs but I'm dreading the withdrawal of support for XP next year. I might buy a Windows 7 machine, but given the reviews and detailed comments on the 'net I would rather go to Linux than to Windows 8.  I do a wide variety of work on my PC, from word-processing and emailing to programming in C and running a 'legacy' DOS-based database in the C:\ prompt window.  I do not want fancy screens - I need a conventional mouse and keyboard. An ability to run 'legacy' MS-DOS software is essential to part of my work because some of it offers me a flexibility that is simply not available in Access and similar current databases. Can one get a C:\ prompt window in Windows 8?  If not, it will be useless to me.

It is pointless for me, as one individual, to suggest to Microsoft that they need to consider more traditional users when they create new operating systems. However, I think that Dell, as one of the big players in the PC field, should interact more strongly with Microsoft, to stress that many of Dell's customers want an operating system designed primarily for serious work on office desktop PCs - forget about touch screens and 'intuitive' interfaces that appeal to those mesmerised by the glamour of tablets and smartphones.

No Events found!