Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 15th, 2012 08:00

Windows 8 or Windows 7? What do you prefer?

[poll]

2.5K Posts

May 1st, 2013 10:00

Not only can you get c "C:\" prompt on Windows 7, you can also get it on Windows 8.  Windows 7 and 8 both support legacy devices.   I current own PCs running Windows 7 and Windows 8

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 1st, 2013 11:00

"Can one get a C:\ prompt window in Windows 8?"

Yes, the command prompt works the same way in Windows 8.

"run 'legacy' MS-DOS software"

64-bit Windows 7 and 8 will not run 16-bit applications.  Legacy apps may or may not work in Windows 7 or 8; there are many compatibility modes, but they are not guaranteed to make your legacy software run.  Virtualization is an easy alternative when the compatibility modes do not work (Windows 7 includes a compatibility mode called XP Mode (in Windows 7 Pro and higher), but that still requires you to run a vulnerable, outdated OS (if only XP will do).

"I do a wide variety of work on my PC, from word-processing and emailing to programming in C"
"many of Dell's customers want an operating system designed primarily for serious work on office desktop PCs"

If you hear people say that Windows 8 is not "designed primarily for serious work", take it with a grain of salt, and possibly an indication of their resistance to change rather than the OS's inability to let you work.  I'm as power-user as anyone (programming, database, web design, network/system/user management, security, virtualization, games, etc.) and switched to Windows 8 when it was released with no problems adapting or doing "serious work".  I realize that many people do not like Windows 8, but it is not that different from Windows 7, and there are many tools that will give people back what they feel they may have lost in Windows 8, like the Start button (although, I do not personally feel I need it).  

"forget about touch screens"
"I need a conventional mouse and keyboard"

Windows 8 does not take away the mouse and keyboard.  It offers touch features (as did Windows 7), but can be used with a mouse and keyboard EXACTLY the same way as any OS.

Read all the reviews you want, but I'd suggest you make up your own mind. 

If you get a PC with Windows 8 Pro, you can downgrade to Windows 7 Pro as part of your license.

You can also download an evaluation of Windows 8 to try it out, but I doubt your existing PC will be able to run a modern OS.

Good luck.

15 Posts

May 1st, 2013 12:00

some people just have a problem with change. when I got my first computer (commodore vic 20) I had to learn dos. whow a long time ago.

then came windows didn't think it would last and was hard to learn. then the various windows along the way, with their good and bad points.

Now another windows,with touch screen none the less. whew where will it end. I hope it never will because as it changes so do we. sometimes good

sometimes bad but it all works out in the end . and yes I do find win 8 a challenge but I do like it.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 1st, 2013 17:00

Not all change is good some features have essentially been removed entirely and no native customisation is left. Different people work in different ways and also for different system types. The poll shows most Desktop and Laptop users without a touchscreen prefer Windows 7.

Moreover there are a number of Desktop user reviews for the XPS 8500 and Inspiron 660 and you will note that many users list Windows 8 as a con, much more so than those that list it as a pro.

A Touchscreen interface is not necessary for such Desktop PCs and users find it to hinder their productivity. I can use Windows 8 on my Desktop fine but it doesn't mean I like to. It is for me less efficient than Windows 7.

Switching system type to an all in one desktop with Windows 8 the XPS 2710 user review list it more highly.

Not everyone can afford or wants a touchscreen on Desktops however which is why different models are sold. If customisation was available Windows 8 wouldn't have got any near as negative press as it did.

21 Posts

May 1st, 2013 17:00

I love how you supporters keep saying that. Like insulting a huge swath of people is really going to change their minds to your way of thinking. Anyway, it's irrelevant. Change is good. This is change bourn out of Microsoft's desperation to make a dent in the mobile market. I've used 8. I've taken the time to get used to 8. But let me say this: If it weren't $14.99, I wouldn't have bothered. I had a bad taste in my mouth during the Consumer Preview, and 8 in its final form is still very clunky and unproductive on a non touch device. That's my opinion, anyway. I won't begrudge you yours, but please keep in mind I'm not thrilled with the elitist tone you took.

445 Posts

May 1st, 2013 19:00

Microsoft must be taking a good look at all the negative remarks about Windows 8. I see they will be releasing Windows 8.1 blue in the next couple months. Haven't read too much about it, but see where the start button will be coming back as well as being able to boot into the desktop like Windows 7, Vista and XP etc. I personally only know of one person who still has Windows 8 and he is not happy at all with it, so am sure he will get the 8.1 blue update when it's available. Will see if his opinion changes then.

27 Posts

May 2nd, 2013 00:00

Well, what's bad about the whole thing is, even though we know windows8 will support all the features everyone wants, it always seems to come with a stipulation that you need to run this software or that, buy this extra or buy that, and even downgrade, if it is not working the way it should, or install Start buttons or go back to older technology when you can't adapt.   Now for a tech savvy person, that's fine.. All that amounts to, is a few minor adjustments for them...  To the beginner, unschooled, and many of our elderly just try to keep in touch with family by e-mail, it is confusion, a headache, and an unwanted expense.   To the tech savvy op who is already burdened with a full schedule, it is bothersome as well..  Most people like to buy an OS and just use the darn thing without having to re-learn everything they have learned over the past 10 years!   And why are we spending all this money for the latest technology, only to have to convert some part of it back to older technology in order to get it to work, or so that we can understand it?  Defeats the purpose, huh!  I have a new laptop w/Windows 8, sitting over in the corner right now, and no time to figure out what all extra I am going to have to purchase, install or downgrade, let alone estimate the amount of time I will need to invest, just to get it to do what I need it to do.. Couple those things with the known bugs it has and the unfamiliar platform...and I don't think too many folks will want to deal with the thing.  Unfortunately, most people, after having invested in a new PC/laptop with a Win8 OS, will not realize what they are getting into until it is too late to return it..  In that regard, having to deal with it or doing without a PC entirely, it will probably be with us for many more years to come...  I knew right away that it was going to be an irritant when I first tried to set it up and found out I had to set a password for Microsoft before I could even access it to configure.  I have never had a password on any of my PCs and all of a sudden I was REQUIRED to have one, and not even one of my choosing that I could easily remember, but one that fit Microsoft's terms.. At least 8 characters, with caps & lowercase, numerals and symbols!  Overkill if you ask me..  And what I finally came up with (one of my own children's name), I still to this day must search my tablet to remember where the underscores, numbers and caps go, whenever it is required.  It seems computer systems are getting even more challenging and complex, instead of easier, as time passes..  Some of us just don't have that much time to deal with it..      

27 Posts

May 2nd, 2013 00:00

Oh boy...  Win 8.1?  It will probably require two Microsoft passwords instead of one!  :-/

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2013 09:00

"stipulation that you need to run this software or that, buy this extra or buy that, and even downgrade, if it is not working the way it should, or install Start buttons or go back to older technology when you can't adapt ... no time to figure out what all extra I am going to have to purchase, install or downgrade"
In my opinion, it doesn't "need" anything extra to be used, but like ALL OS's, you will eventually tweak it to your liking.  For some, they may find that bringing back the Start Menu is more useful, for others (like me), they won't miss it.

"found out I had to set a password for Microsoft before I could even access it to configure"
This step can be skipped and a "local" account created.  A Microsoft account is only needed if you intend to install metro apps from the Microsoft store, and a Microsoft account can be linked to a "local" account for this purpose.

"At least 8 characters, with caps & lowercase, numerals and symbols!  ... I still to this day must search my tablet to remember where the underscores, numbers and caps go, whenever it is required"

Microsoft's actual password policy:

Passwords must have at least 8 characters
Passwords must contain at least two of the following: uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols
Password can’t contain the part of your email address that comes before the @ sign (existing requirement)

Good luck with Windows 8.

No Events found!