Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 6th, 2016 04:00

Windows Installation Disk

My device is Dell Inspiron 3542 with a default windows 8.1 home edition preinstalled.I had tried installing Ubuntu OS  and due to less attention from my part, the installation completely erased my windows partition.

I had made a recovery disk on a portable hard drive but owing to carelessness, my cousin wiped out the entire hard drive thinking of it as unnecessary.

I want to restore my PC back to the shipped OS but I do not have a recovery disk nor a manufacturer modified operating system.I tried looking into the support page but it says that recovery image is not available for the specified model of my product.

Is there any way to recover back my old OS and can I request a installation disk from DELL.Please answer the following question.Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 7th, 2016 13:00

No such thing as disks with OS any more. Windows 8 has not had disks for years. Many computers don't even have drives for disks. The download is the official Microsoft version--the only one available. Go to Create Media site and make your own disk or thumb drive. No need to buy anything--that is a waste of money. Go here and select the version you have and follow the directions carefully--

windows.microsoft.com/.../create-reset-refresh-media

3 Posts

June 7th, 2016 04:00

I am aware of the unofficial windows iso files available online,but I am more interested in getting the original windows manufacturer version,as it is the price that i had paid for while buying my PC.

11 Posts

June 7th, 2016 06:00

I got a new installation disc from Amazon you can get whatever OS you are using from there. I got Win XP which includes a second disc with all the drivers. ( Universal). Good luck

3 Posts

June 7th, 2016 10:00

That is ok,but earlier we used to get a windows installation disk if in case any accident occurred.Nowadays,the recovery is embedded in a separate partition which maybe gets erased while installing a new OS.

The fact is that there must be some way to get back the old OS for which we had paid for during purchase,and not just shell out more money just to buy the same new OS. 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 7th, 2016 14:00

I am aware of the unofficial windows iso files available online,but I am more interested in getting the original windows manufacturer version,as it is the price that i had paid for while buying my PC.

The .isos mentioned are Windows 10 TH2 and are official direct from Microsoft... They are the latest mainstream build. Windows 8.1 .isos are also available but I never recommended these incase this system shipped with the Bing Edition.

11 Posts

June 7th, 2016 16:00

I got XP from here because most of my software for flying works on XP it works fine. This link refers to Win 7 Pro www.amazon.co.uk/.../B002DUCMTC

No Events found!