Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

May 15th, 2006 21:00

Windows Media Player - Internal Application Error Has Occurred

Help !

:smileysad:

I have an issue with Windows Media Player 10 giving me the error "Internal Application Error Has Occurred" when I try to load it.  I also have issues with System Restore opening, User Profiles in Control Panel loading, and the Print feature will not work in Internet Explorer.

I've done research, and my symptoms are explained in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 831430.  Apparently I have an issue with my jscript.dll file and vbscript.dll file.  Now the interesting thing is that the issue only occurrs in my brother's profile.  Mine works fine. If I try to create a new profile, the issue still persists. I also believe a recent Microsoft Automatic Update caused this issue.

I have tried to reregister Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll, but I get an error message in one of the profiles: an error 0x80000400 is returned in my brother's profile.

I am afraid to play around with my registry, and my system restore only shows the current month for some odd reason (I am unable to restore to a previous month, week). I really don't want to do a full system restore.

Please help! 

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 15th, 2006 23:00

Hi:

Try uninstalling/reinstalling WMP10 as per the second suggestion in this post:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=178162

41 Posts

it seems that I get the error 0x80000400 when I try to register those 2 .dll files in the knowledge base article....

The strange thing is this, the problem only occurs on my brother's profile... mine works fine..

I saw this post on opentechsupport.net:

Posted by: cory1492

here is a copy paste on what I did to fix my problem when some accounts could not reregister jscript and vbscript (error 0x8000400), thanks for the help on this forum, and what I say at the bottom of this applies here as well, without this help I would have been reinstalling windoze all next week

Quote:

for those of you with this problem, and the above fix only works on some user accounts on the PC:
-go into the user account that it works on (the that regsrv32 jscript.dll and regsvr32 vbscript.dll doesnt return error 0x8000400)
-open regedit (start/run type regedit )
-locate this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\
-right click on it and select permissions
-add one of the other users to the permissions
-click on advanced and select "replace permissions on all child ... "
-press OK and it will propagate proper permissions to all keys under classes
-now you can go to the other user accounts and fix it with regsvr commands above.

seems something while installing/uninstalling corrupts the registry entries, and windows restores them only for the user that does the install/uninstall... so if you are gettting the "unspecified error" when trying to reregister those DLL's to fix WMP, try all the users to find out which one is still working and follow my fix...

this is also a known bug when using widgets with Windowblinds, corrupting those registry keys on every boot.

hope this helps someone, thanks for the origional info in the thread, helped me narrow my problem alot and find the above fix!

Okay, now this guy seems to have the same problem I do... my fear is performing his registry changes... any comments??

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

Seems like a straight-forward registry edit, but if you try it be sure to create a system restore point first.

Whether it will solve your problem- no idea.

Why not try the suggestion in the link I gave you first?  No registry edits involved.

41 Posts

May 16th, 2006 00:00

well Joe, my problems are listed here under symptoms... i have every one of them...  my issue is related to the .dll files..

from the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article ID: 831430

SYMPTOMS
You may experience one of the following symptoms:
When you try to view any one of the following dialog boxes, the dialog box may appear to be empty or partly empty:
• Search Companion
• User Accounts
• Windows Update
• Help and Support
• System Restore
• When you try to start Microsoft Windows Media Player, you may receive an "An internal application error has occurred" (or a similar) error message.
• Internet Explorer may not be able to print. When you click File, and then click Print, the Print dialog box does not appear. The print preview is blank.

Joe, I did try to reinstall WMP, this didn't help.....

If I try the registry edit, is there a way to undo it if something goes wrong? :smileyindifferent:

Message Edited by osu1357 on 05-15-200608:15 PM

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 16th, 2006 01:00

Hi again:

If you create a system restore point, it creates a backup of your system that will restore everything to the state it was in prior to any changes you make in the registry. Here is a good resource website on everything related to System Restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/

As far as problems you are having reinstalling WMP10- are you getting an error message that a newer version is already installed? If so, that is probably because of WMP updates installed on your system. To fully uninstall WMP10, you should uninstall these updates as well prior to attempting a fresh install from the link I gave you above.

41 Posts

May 16th, 2006 20:00

Did you only experience the Windows Media Player error, or did you experience the other symptoms as well??

Jason

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 16th, 2006 23:00

@osu1357 wrote:
Did you only experience the Windows Media Player error, or did you experience the other symptoms as well??

Jason

I had to reinstall WMP10 for a different problem than yours, got that "Unable to reinstall- newer version already installed" error, and solved it via the advice I gave above.

I have seen posts elsewhere outlining your specific problem, where the solution was to reinstall WMP10. 

No Events found!