Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 9th, 2009 14:00

Windows Vista 64-bit compatibility with the WORLD?

Hey guys, im planning on buying a laptop for school and to fulfill my multimedia wants in my spare time. I've decided on a laptop, but it's preloaded with 4 gb ram and of course Vista 64-bit.

I have only experience with 32-bit operating systems so i don't know any difference. If i got a 64-bit os, would any game / program be compatible with it without a hitch?

Gaming is light (call of duty 4/sims 2 wise) and programs would be microsoft office/itunes etc.

Thanks

2.7K Posts

January 9th, 2009 17:00

Hi

Vista 64 bit does work for all of my software .

I have office 2008 ultimate and some of the old XP software works just fine !

The best thing is to find out if all of your hardware will work for Vista 64 bit like USB drives and

printers you know the other hardware you may have they need 64 bit drivers also !!!

I have no problems working with 64 bit at all !!

Good Luck

2nd try to post

19 Posts

September 28th, 2009 09:00

Dear C3po5 - could you do me a tremdous favor and go to the keys in your registry for msiexe.exe and maybe tell me what it looks like? You could go to the key and EXPORT that key for me to copy. Whoever installed the 64 bit Vista Premium on this PC installed every dern language there is and I really think I'm going to have to backup on the partioned drive and reinstall Windows but thought I might take a chance with the registry. All the registration checking software I have does not support x64.

Or do you install from the command line? I have had no luck with that as the components are not registered and I get an error in some Oriental language when I try to register any of the files. Fun, huh?

I have asked both Microsoft and Dell techs these questions but no joy yet. I think the default installer should be the 64 bit installer but it is not. The only place it is listed in the registry is under components.

You give me hope this can be resolved. Thanks - Jester

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 29th, 2009 10:00

Jester,

I look at Vista Home Premium 32-bit and 64-bit and they look like this.

Rick

19 Posts

April 6th, 2011 08:00

Someone is using my email address and moniker on Dell forums! This is Jester at < ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy > and I don't know what's going on here. Please remove this address from your forum! I have another I use for Dell. Thanks  - Jester

No Events found!