Highlighted
jrod85
1 Copper

Windows Vista/Inspiron 1520 Factory Restore problem - stuck at 'Other User' Login Screen - Please help!

Jump to solution

I wonder if someone can help me as I'm at my wits end!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Windows Vista. I recently ended up with a load of malware and viruses and was only able to remove some of them. I'm still having computer problems so I've backed up everything and want to restore to factory condition.

I've followed the instructions for doing this (F8 -> 'Repair My Computer') but after selecting Repair My Computer I'm taken to a login screen with one user option - 'Other User' and whatever I type in for User Name and Password, it says is incorrect.

I just want to reset everything back to factory condition but I can't get past this!

I'm hoping someone out there will know what to do as I'm completely stuck.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm also posting this in the Virus & Spyware and Laptop forums as I'm not sure exactly what category this problem comes under.

Please help!

Rod

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Windows Vista/Inspiron 1520 Factory Restore problem - stuck at 'Other User' Login Screen - Please help!

Jump to solution

Rod,

The normal procedure is Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

If the recovery partition is corrupt, then it can no longer be used. In that case, then you have to reinstall the operating system this way.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer Please remember to install the drivers in order. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

13 Replies

Re: Windows Vista/Inspiron 1520 Factory Restore problem - stuck at 'Other User' Login Screen - Please help!

Jump to solution

Rod,

The normal procedure is Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

If the recovery partition is corrupt, then it can no longer be used. In that case, then you have to reinstall the operating system this way.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer Please remember to install the drivers in order. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

jrod85
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks ever so much for your help Rick. I will give that a try. What do I do if I don't have the original Windows installation/resource discs?

Rod

0 Kudos
jrod85
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Actually, not to worry, I've found the discs now.

Thanks again,

Rod

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Rick,

I am having the exact same issues as Rod has described above.  But unfortunately I do not have any of the disks which came with the laptop.  I have already backed up my important documents on a flash drive and am attempting to restore my computer any how and any way possible.  None of the linked steps really showed what could be done if I did not have the disk (at least that I saw).  I have attempted to open Windows using safe mode, "Last Known Good Configuration", "Debugger Mode" but everything takes me back to the impassable other user login.  I ran every test under diagnostics possible and found no errors.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

DerekinNeedofHelp,

Registered owner and live in the United States...

Request Backup Disks USA

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
niki9
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Rick,

im having the same problem with my dell inspirion 1520 but the reinstall disc that have come with the computer will not work because its asking me for for the other users and pass. Please Help

Thank you

Niki

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Niki,

Depending on the operating system it can vary.

Are there files and folders that you need?

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
bfields2533
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm haveing the same prob I'm trying to do a Factory Restore and it ask me   other users and password I dont know it I have vista

0 Kudos
Dell-Rajesh R
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

Hi bfields2533,

I would request you to contact me directly by clicking on my user name, add me as your friend, and send me the system service tag, phone # with address.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh R
#iworkfordell
To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
If a post answers your question, please click "
Yes".

0 Kudos