Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2010 08:00

Windows Vista/Inspiron 1520 Factory Restore problem - stuck at 'Other User' Login Screen - Please help!

I wonder if someone can help me as I'm at my wits end!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Windows Vista. I recently ended up with a load of malware and viruses and was only able to remove some of them. I'm still having computer problems so I've backed up everything and want to restore to factory condition.

I've followed the instructions for doing this (F8 -> 'Repair My Computer') but after selecting Repair My Computer I'm taken to a login screen with one user option - 'Other User' and whatever I type in for User Name and Password, it says is incorrect.

I just want to reset everything back to factory condition but I can't get past this!

I'm hoping someone out there will know what to do as I'm completely stuck.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm also posting this in the Virus & Spyware and Laptop forums as I'm not sure exactly what category this problem comes under.

Please help!

Rod

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 19th, 2010 09:00

Rod,

The normal procedure is Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

If the recovery partition is corrupt, then it can no longer be used. In that case, then you have to reinstall the operating system this way.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer Please remember to install the drivers in order. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Rick

6 Posts

October 19th, 2010 10:00

Thanks ever so much for your help Rick. I will give that a try. What do I do if I don't have the original Windows installation/resource discs?

Rod

6 Posts

October 19th, 2010 11:00

Actually, not to worry, I've found the discs now.

Thanks again,

Rod

March 13th, 2011 21:00

Hi Rick,

I am having the exact same issues as Rod has described above.  But unfortunately I do not have any of the disks which came with the laptop.  I have already backed up my important documents on a flash drive and am attempting to restore my computer any how and any way possible.  None of the linked steps really showed what could be done if I did not have the disk (at least that I saw).  I have attempted to open Windows using safe mode, "Last Known Good Configuration", "Debugger Mode" but everything takes me back to the impassable other user login.  I ran every test under diagnostics possible and found no errors.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 13th, 2011 22:00

DerekinNeedofHelp,

Registered owner and live in the United States...

Request Backup Disks USA

Rick

1 Message

March 9th, 2012 15:00

Hi Rick,

im having the same problem with my dell inspirion 1520 but the reinstall disc that have come with the computer will not work because its asking me for for the other users and pass. Please Help

Thank you

Niki

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 10th, 2012 03:00

Niki,

Depending on the operating system it can vary.

Are there files and folders that you need?

Rick

1 Message

October 4th, 2012 17:00

I'm haveing the same prob I'm trying to do a Factory Restore and it ask me   other users and password I dont know it I have vista

3.3K Posts

October 5th, 2012 03:00

Hi bfields2533,

I would request you to contact me directly by clicking on my user name, add me as your friend, and send me the system service tag, phone # with address.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

November 28th, 2012 09:00

I have the same problem where when i go into Repair your pc it comes up with a sign on screen "Other User" and PW. No matter what I put in will not work.

service tag Service tag removed per privacy policy>          

EXPRESS SERVICE CODE: Express service code removed per privacy policy>

I would appreciate any help..

3.3K Posts

December 5th, 2012 19:00

Hi GOLFERLOU,

Back up data before performing PC restore/Operating system reinstallation.

Follow below steps to perform PC restore:

1. Turn on the computer.
  2. As the computer starts, press on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen. Note: You must press before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.  
  3. Press the on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press .
  4. Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
  5. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.
  6. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
  7. In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
  8. Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.
  9. Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
  10. When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.
  11. The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

For more information refer PC restore.

If the issue persists, Operating system reinstallation is the option.

Kindly select the operating system from the above link.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

December 14th, 2013 14:00

Hi, I have the exact same problem; Dell Vostro 1520, VISTA Business. However, everytime I do F8 and pick Repair my Computer, I get stuck at the Other Username/password challenge, and nothing gets past it (I never get to select a language).

How do I restore the 1520 to factory. By the way, I also have a second 1520 and it works (bought two at the same time); any way I can use the functioning 1520 to help me restore the non-functioning 1520

Bob

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 15th, 2013 03:00

I would recommend manual clean installation. See Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows Vista:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

You may alternatively upgrade your Windows to a later version, if so see Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7/8.1.

1 Message

October 5th, 2021 05:00

Hi - I'm having the exact same problem. I tried reformatting what was my uncle's laptop (he passed 2 years ago) last night so I could use it for my kids. Now I have this "other user" login issue and have no idea what to do! I have no disks that came with the laptop and thought it had reformatted correctly but now I can't even login. HELP!

No Events found!