Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2010 10:00

Windows XP OS Install CD Replacement

I would like to re-install the Dell OEM Windows XP Operating System; but, am unable to find the original disk.  Contacting Dell XPS support indicates that they cannot ship me the CD because my warranty expired.  Anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to obtain the OS image that I paid for along time ago without purchasing a new one?

3.7K Posts

August 9th, 2010 12:00

You are allowed to have 1 free copy, that does not include the copy they sent you. If you live in the US, then you can use this online form HERE.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2010 14:00

I did use that form originally.  Subsequently, I got a reply back indicating that I could not receive a copy because my warranty expired.  I have never requested a copy before.

2.6K Posts

August 9th, 2010 17:00

Problem is twofold - the Dell disk replacement policy changes faster than us users on the forum can keep up, plus XP disks are getting scarcer by the minute.  It used to be the replacement policy covered anyone, but it's changed a lot in the last year or so.

If you can't get one from Dell, start scrounging.    Your license to use XP belongs to your machine, not a particular disk.  If you know anyone who has a Dell XP disk of the exact same type (Home, Pro, Media Center),  it should work fine.   Although both Dell and MS frown on it, you can also sometimes find Dell OEM XP disks for sale online - just be careful.

Alternatively, if your PC was built after late 2004,  you may have the original PC Restore intact.   Instructions below -  but basically, hold CTRL-F11 at the boot screen, then release when the blank screen with the blue "Dell.com" bar comes up.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=181316

December 15th, 2010 15:00

Problem is twofold - the Dell disk replacement policy changes faster than us users on the forum can keep up, plus XP disks are getting scarcer by the minute.  It used to be the replacement policy covered anyone, but it's changed a lot in the last year or so.

If you can't get one from Dell, start scrounging.    Your license to use XP belongs to your machine, not a particular disk.  If you know anyone who has a Dell XP disk of the exact same type (Home, Pro, Media Center),  it should work fine.   Although both Dell and MS frown on it, you can also sometimes find Dell OEM XP disks for sale online - just be careful.

Alternatively, if your PC was built after late 2004,  you may have the original PC Restore intact.   Instructions below -  but basically, hold CTRL-F11 at the boot screen, then release when the blank screen with the blue "Dell.com" bar comes up.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=181316

It helps me out of the problem, Many thanks to your description!
No Events found!