Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2008 14:00

Windows XP on a dimension 8100

I installed a new hard drive and formatted it just fine. I updated my bios to xp2. The hard drive is showing up as  the D: drive even though it's the only drive on the cable. When I try to install windows xp it loads up all the drivers and setup files and says that the compuer will reboot and installation will continue.....I reboot and it starts all over again.

Any ideas why it won't continue with the windows setup? And how can I change it from D: to C: drive?

Thanks.

Mike 

19 Posts

April 16th, 2008 15:00

I have the drive set at Cable Select as per Seagate instructions. Should I set it as master?

Also when I boot up it tells me that Primary Hard Disc 1 Not Found" 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 16th, 2008 20:00

Dolfan705

Mike

You can only change the C:/ boot drive's assigned letter by reinstalling XP.

Do you have an IDE Zip Drive installed? If you have a Zip Drive, disconnect the data cable from the drive and reconnect it after XP is installed.

You should format the hard drive as part of reinstalling XP.

How to carry out a clean reinstall of XP.

First, disconnect all the peripherals from the system except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

How to configure a Dell Dimension series system to boot to the CD or DVD drive.

This XP reinstallation guide is excellent, or you can use Dell's Restallation Guide here.

While installing, remember to delete all existing partitions when you are prompted, then recreate the partitions and format the hard drive, following by installing XP.

After installing XP, you need to install the drivers and applications.

Then, install the Anti Virus utility and update the definitions, followed by all the critical Microsoft updates.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 16th, 2008 20:00

Dolfan705

Try using a new 80 conductor IDE similar to here

The C:/ boot drive, is designated in the system setup as, Primary Hard Drive 0, check that this drive is set to auto [on].

Primary Hard Disc 1 is for a second IDE hard drive and unless you have a second hard drive installed, the BIOS setting for this drive is 'off''.

See here

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!