Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2005 00:00

Windows XP unable to read chinese

I have a bunch of foreign music on my harddrive and my Inspiron 9300 was able to read it before it crashed. After doing a PC system restore and downloading the language patches it still is not able to read chinese characters. I do not want to change my language of the computer to chinese. Does anyone know any other patches I can download to fix this problem.

4.4K Posts

November 24th, 2005 00:00

In control panel, Regional and language Options applet, languages tab, did you install the East Asian Languages? That includes, I think 5 variants of Chinese. If not, check that box, click apply, etc. Can't remember if it needed the CD.

2.5K Posts

November 24th, 2005 07:00

@eltce wrote:
I have a bunch of foreign music on my harddrive and my Inspiron 9300 was able to read it before it crashed. After doing a PC system restore and downloading the language patches it still is not able to read chinese characters. I do not want to change my language of the computer to chinese. Does anyone know any other patches I can download to fix this problem.

eltce,

In general, you cannnot change the language of your Windows installation, i.e., English Windows is English Windows.  However, English version of Windows XP Professional will allow the user to change the language of the interface you see by installing Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI), but the underlying language of the operating system is still English.  Installing MUI is not the same as a localized version of Windows in your chosen language.

If you want to read Chinese characters and have Chinese program support (albeit may not be 100%), you could try configuring your computer this way.
http://www.mesquire.com/faq/computer/winxpcht/setup.htm

If you want to install MUI, this is not available as a free download or as a retail addon, but through OEM and corporate licensing channels.

2.5K Posts

November 24th, 2005 07:00

JRosenfeld , the East Asian Language support installs the following language support and their respective IME:

Traditional Chinese characters
Simplified Chinese characters
Japanese characters
Korean characters

It does not support 5 variants of Chinese :smileyvery-happy:

12K Posts

November 24th, 2005 08:00

If I could jump in here, ......I have benn asked to install a German version of XP and I think the easiest way to do this would be to make a dual boot system since the husband speaks both languages also.

141 Posts

November 24th, 2005 11:00

Have you tried changing your CHCP settings? (CHCP= Code Page settings for language)
No Events found!