Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2008 04:00

Windows XP will not start

Windows XP will not restart on my Inspiron 1300, unfortunately I was unable to backup data before this happened.  I have tried to use the recovery manager from the Windows CD supplied with the PC but it is looking for an administrators password which I do not have.  Is there any way I can restore XP without losing all my data.

November 11th, 2008 04:00

Following are the options:

1) parallel reinstall of OS (you can do a google search which would tell you how to do that)

2) Contact Dell on call (they might send a tech)

3) Or approach a local tech

KV.

4.6K Posts

November 12th, 2008 00:00

Welcome to the forums ;)

Try 'admin' for the password?

November 12th, 2008 01:00

Hi,

Try this steps - Boot with XP disc by pressing F12 key, When you get 3 options:

# To setup windows XP press Enter

# To repair a windows XP installation using Recovery Console press R

# To quit setup without installing press F3

On this screen press "R"

You will get command prombt, if it ask for administrator password Press Number-1 and the press enter

on the next command dont type anything just leave it blank and then press enter. Now you can proceed your command to transfer files from system to external HDD. It will work

NOTE : If you explain what is the issue exactly it will be helpful to give solution in order avoid xp installation

4.4K Posts

November 12th, 2008 09:00

Unless the password was set there won't be one, Try leaving the password blank

2 Posts

November 14th, 2008 00:00

Thanks for the advice, I did a parallel install which allowed me to back up all my data and programs, but when I reloaded all that none of my programs will run and my wireless network card is not detected.  Any ideas?

1.3K Posts

November 14th, 2008 10:00

Thanks for the advice, I did a parallel install which allowed me to back up all my data and programs, but when I reloaded all that none of my programs will run and my wireless network card is not detected.  Any ideas?

1. none of my programs will run. You have to reinstall programs in the New install of Windows.

2.my wireless network card is not detected. You have to install "Drivers in this order. see link below.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=1D89E1987FF611DC98696B17995A83A4&docid=3690A8CC21FAF290E040A68F5B281A12

No Events found!