Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 7th, 2009 16:00

Windows XP won't boot after installing SP2

I was recently given a Dell Dimension 4400 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor. The OS is Windows XP Home Edition. I quickly realized it only had SP1 Update. MS successfully performed several automatic updates.  After installing  SP2, it wouldn't reboot. after exhaustive reserch I learned that the current BIOS didn't support SP2. I had no success with Dell support website. Intell's support website has a BIOS upgrage (PT84510A.86A) using Express BIOS Update. I followed all instructions, and when application began to load I got a critical error message saying "update could not be performed, contact manufacture for update". Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

3 Posts

March 8th, 2010 09:00

SUCCESS!!! I put the system back to original factory condition with the original reinstallation CD.   Went to Microsoft Update site and downloaded both Service Pack 2 IT and Service Pack 3 IT to the same folder I made  which I named "SP Update"  and placed in the C: drive . The regular download for the service pack updates come via the update tool on your PC. DO NOT USE THIS!!!  Go to Microsoft and download the updates by themselves as I did. You can then install the service packs without having to take on any other updates. SP IT updates was intended for IT professionals  that need to update more than one system but woks fine for what we are doing.

1) Once downloaded, reboot your PC, open SP2 IT and let it install.

2) Once completed, reboot your PC, open SP3 IT and let it install.

3) Now the system will take all other updates with no problem.

Some tips. Disconnect all peripherals from your PC before installing the service packs. Only the mouse, keyboard and monitor should be connected. I used a wireless adapter to get online and download the service packs but while rebooting the PC I disconnected the adapter before installing the service pack. The instructions I found suggested this.

The PC I had trouble with is what I am using right now. It's running better than before.

Hope this helps those looking for a solution.

June 7th, 2009 18:00

Hello Joe.  Start here to upgrade your BIOS.  http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen  Never download a BIOS other than one from Dell.

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 18:00

Hello Joe. Any luck with the SP2 update?  I know you mentioned that you tried the Dell BIOS update with no luck but in the following post the person tells you to try the Dell BIOS update. What were your results? I'm fixing my sister's Dell 4400. Her system acquired the  "worm.win32.netsky" virus. Any way, she had all the original discs. So, I reloaded XP Home with no problem. Took some updates and was running fine. Took the SP2 update and this thing is now in a continuous loop - Dell logo, XP Home start up logo, very quick blue screen error flash, then reboots on it's own again repeating the previous routine. 

I'm not a tech but I have built my own system and done several platform installs for family members. Just trying not to ruin anything here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

March 2nd, 2010 18:00

I have bad news for you based on my personal experience.  Usually the SP2 update is trouble free, however, I had a similar experience after uploading SP3.  SP2 has uncorrected security flaws.  If you can not boot in safe mode or use the restore to an earlier time, you will need to use your restore to original state CD.  Before adding anything, then update to SP2 and SP3.

3 Posts

March 7th, 2010 19:00

Got some info from another thread. They suggested that SP2 be downloaded and burned to a cd. Then after rebooting, install SP2 from the disc. I'll let you know my results.

Why hasn't anyone from Dell commented or given a fix for this problem? The question has been asked in a variety of ways on different threads.

March 7th, 2010 23:00

Although you have a Dell machine, the problem is really a Microsoft Windows problem.  You need to udate beyond SP2 to SP3.  Download the update but install it while in Safe mode to avoid interference with other programs.  You may want to contact Microsoft for more help.  Please review this page.

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab0

March 8th, 2010 11:00

I am glad you finally followed our advice.  Remember, SP2 will not be supported after July 2010.  It is unnecessary to make a special download of SP3.  You always hyave the option on updates to select only what you want to download and install.  The only time a special download from Microsoft is necessary is if an update fails to install.  Then you can download it onto your desktop and install it from safe mode.

No Events found!