Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2009 13:00

Windows XP won't restart when external drive is connected

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop with Windows XP SP3. I also have a Fantom external USB 250 GB drive connected to my machine. Sometime last year (maybe after one of the updates or software installs), I noticed that if I try restarting my computer with the external USB drive connected, it won't restart. It just hangs with the message "Windows is starting ..." and nothing happens. If I shut down windows & turn off my external hard disk, then it restarts fine. This was not a problem when I bought the computer and connected the drive. It worked fine for almost 6 months till suddenly I started facing this problem of XP not restarting with the drive connected.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 14th, 2009 16:00

rsh2009,

If I'm correct, Windows is trying to look at the USB drive to boot. I had a similar problem with the sons iPod connected. Restart your computer and press F1 and enter the bios. Look for boot sequence and change the order. Move the USB to the bottom of the list.

Rick

10 Posts

January 14th, 2009 21:00

That was it. Great !  Thanks a lot. Did not realize I should take a look at the boot sequence. I remember that I had to update my bios and that must have messed up the sequence. That explains why it used to work before and did not work later.

Thanks again. How do I set the status of this thread to "Solved"?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 15th, 2009 00:00

rsh2009,

Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

No Events found!