Highlighted
Not applicable

Windows not genuine

I bought my laptop from dell about 3 years ago with Windows 7 already installed on it. Yesterday on the bottom right corner of my display, it started saying that my copy of windows may not be genuine. Then today there was a popup that said the same thing. It provided a link to click to verify my version was legit, but I just clicked away the box instead of following the link. Since my warranty has expired with Dell and I refuse to pay to speak to someone about the issue, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any answers? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
DellEMC

Re: Windows not genuine

Hi Jen18537,

You may try to activate Windows using the product key located at the bottom panel of the laptop. Alternatively, you may try the following steps.

Update the BIOS of the computer:

• Click on the link http://dell.to/QjjZDA
  • Type the Service Tag of the computer
  • Choose the operating system
  • Click on ‘BIOS’
  • Click on ‘Download File’
  • Restart the computer
  • Check on the radio box ‘Single-file download’
  • Click ‘Continue’
  • Click ‘Save’
  • Choose the location as desktop, save the file on the desktop
  • Right click and choose ‘Run as Administrator’
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program
  • Restart the computer

If the issue still persists, then it is advisable to perform PC restore, which means taking the computer back to factory defaults to eradicate any software issues.

Note: We would advise you to take a complete backup of your data (pictures, music, videos, and documents) as this step leads to complete data loss. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

To perform PC restore:

• Restart PC, press <F8> 3-4 times when the Dell logo appears.
  • Advanced Boot Options menu appears, ‘Repair your Computer' is highlighted, press Enter. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice)
  • Windows is loading files screen appears. Wait for it to load.
  • System Recovery Options prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.
  • Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK.
  • Choose a Recovery Tool Window appears, select Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup.
  • The Welcome screen will show 2 options; Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files and Select other System Backup and more options. Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click Next.
  • The next window shows these options; Backup Files and folders and Restore my computer. Select ‘Restore my computer’.
  • Select the Factory Image and click ‘Next’.
  • The next window shows 2 options; 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'. Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click Next.
  • A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved at the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click Next.
  • PC restore will initiate. Once done, click Restart.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to create a user account

You may click on the link for more information http://dell.to/Wj1rZe 

Please reply if you have any questions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Zinc

Is this PC restore instructions the same if you upgraded to Windows 8?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DellEMC

Hi CDLOUS4,

If you have upgraded to Windows 8, you would need to perform a clean installation using the Windows 7 operating system disc. You may refer to the following link on Windows 7 Manual Reinstall http://dell.to/Qe7jyP 

Hope this information helps.

0 Kudos