Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2006 16:00

Windows security thinks McAfee is still there.

I just finished gutting all the junk out of a new E510 a friend of mine just bought. Since Dell completely ignored the options I chose when setting it up and put a load of trial software on the system (and forgot to install the X-Fi card) I've had to spend hours at this. Finally I've gotten it all cleaned up down to one little problem. I uninstalled McAfee Security Center Trial via add/remove. I know you are suppose to shutdown and uninstall individual components first. Problem is 1)McAfee kept restarting itself when I shut it down, 2) there were no individual components listed, just an entry for the security center. Finally it stopped restarted and I removed it. After reboot I went about finishing the sytem cleanup and suddenly realized Windows Security Center wasn't nagging me about not having an AV installed. So I checked it and found it was reporting McAfee as still being present. Firewall, Spam Killer, etc. all seemed to be completely gone. So I went through various steps on McAfee's site, downloading the individual clean up programs for each component and sorting throught the registry to get rid of all McAfee entries and I still have Windows Security center telling me McAfee is installed. I just turned off Windows Security Center service for now since this computer will be used offline for at least a couple months and I don't want it nagging him about outdated software. Eventually, it'll be put online though and I'll be installing AVG or Avast along with a software firewall. I need to make sure McAfee is dead and buried before this, but I'm all out of ideas. Any input would be appreciated.

55 Posts

September 17th, 2006 22:00

To uninstall McAfee products completely from your pc (skip any steps you've already done):

1. First, be sure to disable the specific product before uninstalling.  Be sure to uninstall Spamkiller, Privacy Service, VirusScan first.  Then disable & uninstall the firewall.  Uninstall the Security Center last. 

2. Log onto Windows using an account with admin privileges. 
First remove McAfee product(s) via Windows Add/Remove Progams in Control Panel or via uninstaller in Start, All Programs, McAfee, Uninstall and list of your product uninstallers appears. But you're not done yet.  That doesn't get everything for that product uninstalled. 

3. Next go to this McAfee Support site for removal tools/instructions:
There you will find links to McAfee removal tools.  I've used the tools successfully removing VirusScan, Privacy Service and SpamKiller with no problems on my still-running McAfee Firewall.  The tools remove the "leftovers" in the Windows Registry, as well.  This is probably what you're dealing with. 

If problems should occur, join the McAfee user forum (free) and seek further assistance that your particular configuration may require.  They may want you to do an additional step or two.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by buttoni on 09-17-2006 06:01 PM

Message Edited by buttoni on 09-17-2006 06:06 PM

57 Posts

September 18th, 2006 09:00

Thanks for the input but still no go. I'll have to check with McAfee on it. What you described is exactly what I've already done. The cleanup tools logs just show that the files it was looking for are no longer there to be removed. But still, windows thinks McAfee is installed.

771 Posts

September 18th, 2006 16:00

I bought a E510 computer a few months ago. It had McAfee Internet Security and a bunch of other programs I didn't want pre-installed. I took the drastic, but more effective way of cleaning things up: formatting the hard drive. I knew my new computer would be cluttered with junk, so I made sure to order the Windows XP Reinstallation CD-ROM during my online purchase. Computer now runs much faster and less prone to crashes.

Message Edited by Lawnmowerguy on 09-18-2006 12:39 PM

57 Posts

September 19th, 2006 00:00

Despite specifying a reinstall CD, none was shipped. For that matter, Dell forgot the X-Fi card, installed McAfee when I specified no security suite, and installed Office SB trial when I specified no productivity suite. I'm not happy with Dell on this purchase and has no intention of buying one again to be quite honest. Now I recall why I built my last one myself. I don't have to deal with all the headaches involved with hordes of worthless software coming on the machine and incorrect congigurations. I'll be glad to get this one sorted out and done with.

55 Posts

September 19th, 2006 17:00

After running the removal tools for the four individual products, did you follow the instructions at the bottom of that page in my link to remove the McAfee Security Center itself?  Sounds like maybe Windows still thinks McAfee Security Center is your "default" security center in the registry.  Probably some registry entry still needs to be unregistered.  I know when my pc was new I had to specify one or the other as my "default security center" to avoid "conflicts & duplicate alerts".  But I have no idea how to access this feature now.  

If you're absolutely certain you did that last step to fully get rid of the Security Center shell, and Windows still thinks McAfee is onboard, then I would definitely go to the McAfee forum (my second link above) and ask for further assistance.  Providing the full version numbers of all your McAfee products with your original post is essential.

57 Posts

September 19th, 2006 18:00

Yes, when I first booted the PC, McAfee popped up wanting to be the security center of choice, so I denied it right from the start. It should never have been my security center. I did all the steps you outlined. I'll check with McAfee on it.

55 Posts

September 21st, 2006 19:00

I do think that's you best course of action at this point. 

55 Posts

September 24th, 2006 00:00

I think I found a solution at this Mcafee forum discussion.  Problem may relate to WMI service in Windows.

Hope this helps.

57 Posts

October 21st, 2006 19:00

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. There was no such folder to be deleted, for whatever reason.
No Events found!