Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 28th, 2011 14:00

Windows\system 32\SecureGuard.vbs ERROR

Hi guys, Im using Windows XP and whenever I try to power on the system, I get this Error message saying SecureGuard.vbs which is Windows Script file missing or deleted.

" C :\Windows\system 32\SecureGuard.vbs "

I got to know that some Virus/Malware has deleted this script file.

I have done some changes in the Registry using some Tips and Tweaks Online and now instead of the error message i get a simple pop-up saying Windows Script Host and always ask me to Click OK or Cancel.

Now is there anything else I can do in order not to get even this window popping up, or Can I just take a Windows-XP CD and then select "Repair" so that I can get files fixed?

Regards

Nikhil Suhas

2.6K Posts

June 28th, 2011 16:00

Looks like you picked up a worm.    Seems that file was ADDED by the malware, not removed by it.

www.microsoft.com/.../Entry.aspx

I would NOT continue trying to manually fix it - malware is too tricky, especially since this one appears to travel with removable drives.   A couple options:

1) I'm assuming you have some kind of antivirus program, but it may not have removed or detected all of it.  Try a second (or third) opinion:

www.microsoft.com/.../default.aspx

www.malwarebytes.org/.../malwarebytes_free

EDIT:  If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials, the Microsoft Security Scanner is essentially the same. Another alternative:

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner

2) You can get trained help in the Malware Removal forum below - read the sticky at the top first on how to post for help:

en.community.dell.com/.../3521.aspx

June 29th, 2011 04:00

Thank you so much for the information Alexandra. This thing is really giving me a hard time, I'm not able to upgrade my MS office to 2010 from 2007 version and I was not able to use 'fix it' tool from microsoft website also. Hope this works. Thanks

No Events found!