Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2016 11:00

Windows update stuck at "Checking for Updates" for the last 2 days

System: Dell Inspiron 14 Laptop model 3451 - Edition: Windows 8.1, 64-bit, 4GB RAM.
We have received this laptop in our church as a donation. I did a factory default restore from the recovery media (external USB drive).

The system is up and running, but I cannot do any of the Windows updates.

It is still a no-go after various fix attempts including: using the Windows update troubleshooter
which "fixed" problems, but no windows updates are being downloaded..., Also used these steps to stop the services wuauserv, cryptSvc, bits, msiserver, renaming C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old, renaming C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old, restart the services wuauserv, cryptSvc, bits and msiserver. I have also done a clean boot through msconfig (on services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, hide all Microsoft services check box, and Disable all other services) - (Disabled each Task Manager startup item) (this means all antivirus soft, firewall are disabled + any non-Microsoft drivers), but still the "Windows Update" screen is stuck at "Checking for updates". Some forums mentioned this might be due to the system using Wi-Fi to download the Windows Updates: as the laptop is not equipped with an Ethernet port, I used a StartTech USB-to-Ethernet adapter to connect to my router for Internet access from the laptop.

Still no-go!

The "Windows Update screen shows "Never" for both "Most recent check for updates' and "Updates were installed". The C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download is empty.

From the screen "Control Panel" / "All Control Pane Items" / "Windows Update", when I click on "Installed Updates", its screen shows 93 Microsoft Windows Updates installed from November 20, 2014 to July 3, 2015 (that are most likely part of the factory image).

Maybe there are no new updates to download???

My router indicates no traffic from the laptop, so it's not even communicating with Microsoft windows update repository.

Is there anything that I missed? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

532 Posts

January 5th, 2017 05:00

Hi,

Welcome to our Community. Did the issue start after restoring the OS to the factory settings. You can try repairing the OS, if repairing did not fix the issue the only option is to reinstall the Operating System from the scratch.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 9th, 2017 20:00

Maybe there are no new updates to download???

There are many updates to download, but the Windows Update components have been changed and that's why Windows Update is not working. The fix is to disable the Windows Update service, install KB3020369 and then install KB3172605. (You can download both of those from Microsoft.) Most likely, you do not need to repair the OS.

There is more information here.

I just went through this with an OptiPlex 9010 with a brand new install of Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise.

2 Posts

June 17th, 2019 07:00

Disabled Windows Update and then downloaded KB3020369 and tried to install...

Got an message saying:

Install error 80070422 Windows service cannot be started

2 Posts

June 17th, 2019 08:00

It was telling me the service was not running.... started the service manually and then it tried to run.  Both KB Patches said not applicable to your computer.

I recently restored the DELL laptop to factory recovery OS.  It reformatted the disk and then installed.  This thing crawls now... and then I tried to add all the updates through Windows Update.  It just hangs there "Checking for Updates".  

What more can I try?  This is very frustrating.  It's not my laptop but I'm trying to help out a friend.  Plans are to get it stable enough to take a snapshot so if it happens to need a restore I'll use the backup with all the patches applied.

HELP!?

No Events found!