Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2008 22:00

Windows updates

hi

can someone pleas explain why everytime i instal Windows Vista updates my laptop gets slower and slower at start up

thanks

12K Posts

February 15th, 2008 02:00

Updates patch "holes" in the OS and do not cause a slow satrtup.. the only thing that can cause slow startups are the number of programs and services you have running.

I suggest you take a look at what is running at startup.

1.1K Posts

February 15th, 2008 11:00

Are you referring to the startup immediately after you install the updates?  If so, it takes a while as usually after you install updates, they aren't truly installed and configured until you re-boot and then windows will do the configuration it needs to do.  This will cause a slower startup for that first time, but as jmwills stated, it shouldn't affect start ups afterwards.

181 Posts

February 17th, 2008 00:00

hi

thanks for the replys,i went into MSCONFIG and stoped a lot of programs from starting at start up,nothing changed

the problem i have is when i turn on the laptop it hangs at the bios a17 at about 3/4 on the green bar for about a min and then the screen goes black for about another min befor the Windows logo apears and it never did it with the a14 bios

mike

No Events found!