Highlighted
3 Argentum

Windows updates

hi

can someone pleas explain why everytime i instal Windows Vista updates my laptop gets slower and slower at start up

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
7 Gold

Re: Windows updates

Updates patch "holes" in the OS and do not cause a slow satrtup.. the only thing that can cause slow startups are the number of programs and services you have running.

I suggest you take a look at what is running at startup.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Germanium

Are you referring to the startup immediately after you install the updates?  If so, it takes a while as usually after you install updates, they aren't truly installed and configured until you re-boot and then windows will do the configuration it needs to do.  This will cause a slower startup for that first time, but as jmwills stated, it shouldn't affect start ups afterwards.

2  XPS 420's, Quad 2.4ghz, 8800GT and 9800GTX, 3gigs RAM (Vista Home)

2 Inspiron 1720's, 2.0 and 2.5 gig processors, 2 and 4 gigs RAM, 8400GM and 8600GT cards (Vista Home and Ultimate)

1 E1705, 2.0 processor, 2 gigs RAM 7900GS. (Vista Home)

2 Mini 9's, Black and Cherry Red......(Windows XP) Love The Mini!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

hi

thanks for the replys,i went into MSCONFIG and stoped a lot of programs from starting at start up,nothing changed

the problem i have is when i turn on the laptop it hangs at the bios a17 at about 3/4 on the green bar for about a min and then the screen goes black for about another min befor the Windows logo apears and it never did it with the a14 bios

mike

0 Kudos