Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2012 05:00

Wipe computer and reinstall OS and drivers/utilities

Dell Inspiron N4010 32bit running Windows 7 Home premium

I would like to wipe my laptop, as it is running slowly and poorly and cleanup to have a fresh OS and HD.

I have the Drivers and utilites disc that came with the laptop. How can I get Windows 7 reinstalled on the laptop?

Someone mentioned that their is a product key taped to the back of the laptop which is still their and readable.

Anyone point me in the correct direction on how to do this reinstall and cleanup.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 3rd, 2012 06:00

Follow the wiki, a clean install of Windows which may be found in my signature below. It will take you through everything step by step.

15 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 06:00

Thank you. I just came across this posting as you replied. I will let you know if I have any trouble.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2012 08:00

Yes, you could, but I would recommend downloading and using the latest versions, available only from the Support site.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

The N4010 is quite new so there might not be much difference, although personally I would download just in case there are newer drivers.

15 Posts

Since I have the disc that came with the computer label Dell Drivers and Utilities, I should be able to skip step 5 of your instructions?

15 Posts

When I get to the Drivers and Download page on the Dell website and put in my Service Tag under "Files for XXXXXXX" I only have 3 files, but under the "All files for the inspiron 14R" theirs 41 files, should I get from "All Files"?

Are their any categories under the Driver Download section that you wouldn't recommend downloading, do I need to do all since I'm doing a complete clean install of windows 7 and not saving anything?

15 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 09:00

I'm also slightly confused about what your doing with the drivers, I know your downloading them but are you downloading them to a cd/dvd/usb stick then reinstalled back on laptop after widnows is installed? Serial ATA drivers are downloading on a separate cd/dvd/usb and loaded during the boot/windows reinstall phase?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Yes the drivers I am downloading all the files onto a USB stick for example I have them in a folder such as.

In each of these folders is the .exe file e.g.

That way I can just plug in the USB stick to the unit after Windows is installed and sequentially install them in the desired order.

The SATA drivers may be put on a separate USB stick but may be placed on the same one. The SATA drivers however need extracted with 7zip so they are in a format as below opposed to the Rxxxxxx.exe format as above.

Just ensure that the USB stick is plugged in during the installation and you select the folder with the SATA drivers in it. Then load them. The SATA drivers for your system, when you extract them will have two folders, copy the contents of the x64 folder if using a 64bit OS and the x86 if using the 32 bit.

As I said I rarely have to perform this step but I put it the wiki as alot of people were getting "no hard drive" or "a required CD/DVD device" errors. You are best to do it just incase.

Note some people will use a CD/DVD for the SATA drivers but I find a USB stick to be faster. 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

You should get the ones under all categories, inputting the Service Tag used to narrow down the drivers that were specific to your system. However for recent systems it seems to give an incomplete/wrong driver set. I have complained about this a few times, hopefully it will be fixed soon...

System Utilities, Chipset, CPU, SATA drivers, 3 of the Conexant Communication drivers, Ethernet Adapters, Synaptics Touchpad, Audio, Quickset, Dell Support Centre should be common for all systems.

So you need to pick the correct Video and Wireless/Bluetooth drivers that are specific to your model. Also if you opted for the Mobile Broadband.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 3rd, 2012 10:00

You need all the Chipset ones, Intel first. You need the Realtek card reader next, then the one for the USB 3.0 ports (I think they weren't optional).

I am not sure about the Video, you should only need 1 for the Video however some newer laptops have switchable graphics so install the Intel ones first and then try installing the others. Note if a video driver doesn't apply to your system it will simply fail to install, so you can attempt to do them all in trial and error.

15 Posts

So as an example for my drivers, I'm going to have 3 .exe files under chipset and 4 .exe under video

15 Posts

But for each driver category needed, ie system utility, chipset, video, audio, etc... I download all the .exe files  in that category as well as the ones specific for my service tag.

15 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 12:00

Oh gosh didn't realize the DBan would take 9+hrs to perform and downloading Windows 7 and SP1 will be 4+hrs. Such a long process but hopefully in the end the results will show great computer performance.

15 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 14:00

When I plug in usb to reload Windows I get error invalid disk.

15 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 14:00

So when I put in my usb drive to reinstall Windows and such it says invalid drive...

No Events found!