Highlighted
7- Thorium

XP Computer Browser service terminated

Dimension 8400 with XPpro (SP2) (3 weeks old).
Windows Event Viewer reporting error with Event ID 7023 and error message from Service Control Manager:
The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error. This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

MS knowledge base says run "SC query browser" from C:\ prompt for more info and that says:
type 20 win32_share_process
state 1 stopped
Windows exit code 1460 (0x5b4)
Service exit code 1460
Check point (0x0)
Wait_hint (0x0)

Emailed all this info to Dell Support and their totally useless answer says: to resolve the issue we suggest you to uninstall SP2 from your system."
OK, and then what???

Anybody know what this error means and how to fix it? Don't see any obvious signs of malfunction...yet.

Thanks!

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
4 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: XP Computer Browser service terminated

If you only got that one time and it never happens again, don't worry about it.  However, if you are getting this regularly or have had it more than once then there could be an operating system problem and in that case if may take, at a minimum an XP "Repair" and at worst case a complete "clean" install of the OS and all software. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
maxd
4 Ruthenium

In SP2 the Computer Browser service requires that the Server and Workstation services be running. Are they set to Automatic  ?
0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Thanks for the info. This error message appears routinely in the Event Log after the system boots. Forgot to mention that this PC is not on a network (NIC turned off in BIOS) so do I even need Computer Browser, Server Service and Workstation services running? Can I just run msconfig and uncheck any/all of them?

Thanks again!

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
maxd
4 Ruthenium

I'll assume you have SP2 installed. Don't turn them off using msconfig. Check this page out. I use XP Home not Pro but my settings are the same as Viper's 'Safe' settings re Computer Browser,  Server and Workstation. You need Workstation running. Your system may require a reboot for a change in services to be applied; I can't remember. I've found that if you need a service only now and again it's better to set it to Automatic. Don't mess with Manual. To verify what services are actually running enter this command at a Command Prompt:

net start

Sorry, here's the link. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Message Edited by maxd on 12-16-2004 02:09 PM

0 Kudos