Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2006 13:00

XP Drivers not Found

I have a Dimensions 4550s.

12K Posts

Virtually all USB devices are Plug and Play.

2.4K Posts

Hi

Have you be on the kingston web site for driver

Kingston does not have a driver for XP.

The documentation says I don't need any special driver with XP it should use the one already installed. I will check their site, but I also have a problem with a Canon camera that is also supposed to use already installed drivers.

The device I was trying to install was a Kingston TravelLite SD/MMC USB reader. I think I need the USB drivers, but I don't see them on this link.

December 7th, 2006 14:00

Yes, but when I hook it up the new hardware wizard pops up and indicates the device is not installed because the software could not be found. Does anyone have an idea of where the drivers are. I have a folder with drivers in my c/drivers. When I tried to use the Resource CD it tries to place device drivers in c/dell/drivers.

69 Posts

December 7th, 2006 18:00

Have you checked your device manager? Look for any issues with the USB root hub.

Also, do you have XP SP1? That's the minimum for this device.

Message Edited by fixati0n on 12-07-200602:26 PM

December 7th, 2006 20:00

I checked each driver and under properties, each is working correctly. I attached the card reader to my USB port and checked device driver. It indicates the device is not configured correctly code 1. I checked the box to update the driver and the Hardware wizard indicates it can not find the necessary hardware.

If I try and update any of my drivers, the same message appears from the hardware wizard. If I try and attach anything to my computer that is not currently being used, the new hardware wizard comes up and the same messages appear.

12K Posts

December 8th, 2006 02:00

Maybe I am missing something here, but driver could be missing for a card reader?  That's like saying "I can't install your new external floppy drive" because I don't have the necessary driver.
How current is the BIOS on this machine?

December 8th, 2006 17:00

My machine is 3 years old and I have never done anything to the BIOS. Can it be updated? That could solve the card reader problem.

December 8th, 2006 18:00

I updated the BIOS. I still can not read the card reader. Using Device Manager to check the status, it indicates Drivers for this device are not installed Code (28).

When I attached the device using a USB cable, the found new hardware wizard comes up and indicates software not found. The reader is for camera memory. When I try and attach the camera directly, the same thing happens. I don't think I should need any driver for this plug and play reader.
No Events found!