xcator
4 Beryllium

XP Media Center Edition

Has anyone out there used XP Media Center Edition...if so, how did you like it?  Any dislikes? 
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DELL-MichaelC
4 Ruthenium

Re: XP Media Center Edition

xcator,

I'm sorrry but it doesn't seem like this is getting much attention.  I would recommend going to other sites such as http://www.google.com and see what you can find there.

I'll keep this message posted her and hopefully somebody will have some opinion for you.

0 Kudos
craiglr
1 Copper

I'm sorry you feel that way. It does seem to have a lot of interest. I bought my 8250 earlier this year.. Is Dell participating in the microosft xp media center edition program? It's an oem version with tweaks right? Included in my purchase is xp home. If so, I feel that we should be entitled to get a copy of the software since it was available from early on.. If Dell is not participating , thats another story? Can anyone else give an opinion on this?

Thanks...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SpStWm
1 Nickel

I don't know why no one has responded to CRAIGRO's question (see in italics below). I also purchased my Dell computer, an 8250 with XP Professional, earlier this year.

I know that Dell is only selling MCE with Dimension systems 4600, 4600C, and 8300.

However, since the 8300 is the upgrade to the 8250 I don't see why my computer shouldn't be ready for the MCE. In addition I am annoyed that the 8300 came out shortly after I purchased the 8250, which is now discontinued!

I have gone to the Microsoft site and the following computer manufacturers are offering an upgrade:
 ABS Computer Technologies, Inc.
Customer support: (800) 876-8088
 Alienware Corporation
Customer support: (866) 287-6727
 Cyberpower, Inc.
Customer support: (800) 707-0393
 Gateway, Inc.
Customer support: (800) 369-1409
 Hewlett-Packard Company
Customer support: (800) 752-0900
  iBuypower
Customer support: (888) 462-3899
 Mind Computer Products
Customer support: (204) 786-MIND
 Northgate Innovations
Customer support: (626) 923-6000
 Tagar Systems
Customer support: (866) 279-9917
 Toshiba
Customer support: (800) 457-7777
 Touch Systems
 ViewSonic
Customer support: (800) 688-6688
 ZT Group International
Customer support: (866) 984-7687

Why isn't Dell included in this list?
[From CRAIGRO: "Is Dell participating in the microosft xp media center edition program? It's an oem version with tweaks right? Included in my purchase is xp home. If so, I feel that we should be entitled to get a copy of the software since it was available from early on.. If Dell is not participating , thats another story? Can anyone else give an opinion on this?"]

0 Kudos
D_o_u_g
1 Copper

I was curious about this myself so I spoke with sales and support and they informed me at this time that they were not participating with the upgrade like all the other big manufactured such as Gateway and compac and he did say that the upgrade conflicks with dells picture studio program which they are really pushing to sell. So if it is going to happen it will only come about after they have sold a few billion copies of their software..............which is unacceptable
0 Kudos
D_o_u_g
1 Copper

Hey Michael what about the Media edition upgrade, I'm running and brand new XPS that I bought about 1.5 months ago fully loaded with all the bells and whistles including XP profes. I would like to have the media addition upgrade.....................
0 Kudos
ree5
1 Copper

I have the XP Media Center Edition on a Dimension 4600 and I really like it. People at work are paying as much as $100.00 a month for special cable television features which I get for free with Media Center.
0 Kudos