Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2010 11:00

XP Pro Updates Will Not Install

I'm running XP Pro and have updates downloaded automatically and then I install them at my leisure.  For sometime now several of them always fail to install and my pc does run well.  I do frequent virus and firewall scans, etc and haven't experienced any problems (that I am aware of, anyhow).

These are:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP x86 (KB979909)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168)
Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB983583)
Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x86 (KB963707)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982524)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows 2000 and Windows XP (KB979906)

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  Should I care?

Thanks for any help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 16th, 2010 12:00

Since they're security updates, you should care. These updates fix problems that could allow malware to sneak into your system. And it could be too late by the time you realize it... :emotion-5:

Microsoft actually offers free tech support for problems installing updates. I've used them several times for XP pro on my Dell, and the support was excellent.  It may be hard to say that Microsoft does anything well, but I was impressed with the support for updates. I've done it both by live phone call and email. One tech spent ~2 weeks working with me until my problem was finally fixed, and no, I didn't have to reinstall Windows to fix it. :emotion-1:

You can start here.

Ron

January 22nd, 2011 20:00

Since they're security updates, you should care. These updates fix problems that could allow malware to sneak into your system. And it could be too late by the time you realize it... :emotion-5:

Microsoft actually offers free tech support for problems installing updates. I've used them several times for XP pro on my Dell, and the support was excellent. It may be hard to say that Microsoft does anything well, but I was impressed with the support for updates. I've done it both by live phone call and email. One tech spent ~2 weeks working with me until my problem was finally fixed, and no, I didn't have to reinstall Windows to fix it. :emotion-1:

You can start here.

Ron

Thanks for your sharing! It's comprehensive.
No Events found!