Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2009 10:00

XP Recovery Console Available From Dell ReInstallation?

I need to repair NTLDR in my XP SP2 on my Dell Dimension 4600 P4 machine.  I have directions to do this using an XP recovery disk or Installation disk.

I have the Dell re installation disk.  Can I access the XP Recovery Console from the re installation disk without re installing and destroying all the data files?

Thanks

2.6K Posts

August 13th, 2009 11:00

Yes.  The Dell XP disk works exactly the same as a "regular" XP disk - you boot from it and choose what you want to do (in this case, select R at the first setup screen).

77 Posts

August 13th, 2009 12:00

Hello

yes just hit R to get to the RC at the Welcome screen when booting form the OS disk

2 Posts

August 13th, 2009 13:00

Thanks, I used the re installation disk to access the Recovery Console and the repair option.  With the repair instructions from the internet, I was able to replace the NTLDR files and reboot the computer into XP.

I had inadvertantly started a search and replace program which found NTLDR and replaced it with something.  I tried to undo with no success.  Not recognising NTLDR, I shut down for the day without incident.  At start this morning, I got the TRAP 00000006 screen.  Fortunately, I have a new computer available and was able to find advice on the internet as well as the advice here on the re installation disk. 

Just because an arcane file name is unrecognised, one should not ignore it before leaving the session.

No Events found!