MoneyGuyBK
5 Rhenium

XP Service Pack 3 Kills AMD Machines

XP Service Pack 3 Kills AMD Machines
Quote: The problem relates to machines with SP3 installed rebooting and then not allowing users to get so much as Safe Mode. The problem is mainly affecting AMD users who bought their machines from HP.

Peace

0 Kudos
4 Replies
europa303
5 Tungsten

Re: XP Service Pack 3 Kills AMD Machines

Fortunately, I have installed 4 SP3 updates on Dell Optiplex AMD systems with no problems.  Only HP system remaining is an old laptop with Intel processor and even that installed correctly.  You gotta feel for users who innocently update and then have no sound or worse, no computer.
0 Kudos
jec4312
2 Iron

I have read that before downloading sp3 computer users should disable their AV, but quite a few of us still have automatic updates enabled so won't have time to do this. I was wondering this: having auto updates, I would have thought I have all of the updates that are in SP3 - if so why would I want SP3; will the updater recognise this and not try to give me sp3? To say I am a bit worried is an understatement. At present people can choose whether or no, but I believe after 10 June it will be forced on us.

edit: of course after writing this I saw the preceding post about what to do before downloading, but I think my point about auto updates is valid.

Message Edited by jec4312 on 05-10-2008 09:17 AM
0 Kudos
JRosenfeld
4 Ruthenium

A good blog on this issue, with workarounds is

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/05/08/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-in...

Precision Tower 5810, Quadcore Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3, 3700 MHz
RAM:16 GB PC6400 DDR4 SDRAM 1066MHz
HDD: 2x ATA  ST500DM002-1BD14 500GB SATA non RAID
DVD:HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GTA0N SCSI and PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AES SCSI
Video: nVIDIA Quadro K4200 PCIe 4GB
Audio: Recon3D PCIe, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 speakers
Monitor: Dell E2011H

7.1 pro sp1 64 bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Balaji Ramanath
4 Germanium

Since SP3 requires you to accept an EULA, I don't think auto updates is going to install it without user intervention.  It will probably start the installation and pop up the EULA screen and wait until you accept it and tell it to go forward.  That will give you time to shut down everything running on your computer including your AV before allowing SP3 to install.

==================================================
Inspiron 15R Laptop
Intel Core i3-370M (2.4GHz, 4 Threads, 3MB cache) CPU
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 RAM
500GB 5400rpm HDD
15.6 Inch High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife
Intel HD Graphics
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit
Integrated 10/100 Network Card
8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Integrated High Definition Audio 2.2
Dell Wireless 1501
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
6-Cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
PA-12 65W Power Adaptor (19.5V, 3.34A)
==================================================

0 Kudos