Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2008 20:00

XP and Vista file sharing freezing

Hello,

I've been having a rather strange freezing problem with file sharing recently. I have a home network with 3 XP SP3 computers and my new Dell M1530 laptop with Vista SP1. On my XP desktop, I've set up two mapped drives pointing to c$ and another share.

On my desktop, I can browse my laptop via the shared folders easily. However, when I try to transfer some files to my desktop, eventually the file transfer freezes up. Making the problem worse, both XP and Vista computers become very slow and almost unresponsive. On my XP desktop, I can disable the networking card, and the computer recovers. But on my Vista laptop, I cannot do anything save restarting the whole computer to resolve the issue. All of the networking related windows freeze up along with explorer.exe.

One thing to note is that I use a wireless network. Thinking that the wirless could be part of the problem, I tried connecting both computers using a patch cable, turning off wirless NICs, and the same thing happens: browsing the shared folders is fine, but copying files over eventually causes freezing behaviour.

Another thing to note is that I can file share between any XP computer in my house with no problem at all, so its not my desktop.

Any ideas? 

Thank you

No Responses!
No Events found!