Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

February 11th, 2006 16:00

XP cd/dvd doesn't work

Hello,

I received my PC less than two weeks ago and I already have issues.  I tried to boot one day and the screen went blank after displaying the Dell logo.  I have tried to use the symantec recovery software, but the recovery point is corrupted.  I then received the XP Media Center DVD and tried to boot from it.  Here is what happens

1)  It asks me to hit any key to boot from CD
2)  After I hit a key, I am taken to a blue screen, but the only message displayed is "Windows Setup"
3)  On the botton of the screen, I see a bunch of files being loaded
4)  After about 30 seconds, the PC reboots itself and I start all over

I have yet to see the option menu where I can use the recovery console or do a complete reinstall.  Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 11th, 2006 16:00

What exactly happens when you try to run Symantec PC Restore? Please post the exact message. There is a way to repair this utility.

Another possibility is that your hard drive is failing. You might try running the hard drive diagnostic program. Reboot your computer. At the Dell blue logo screen, press the Ctrl + Alt + D keys at the same time. The computer beeps once to acknowledge that the hard drive diagnostics have been initiated. Follow the on-screen instructions.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 11th, 2006 18:00

You should call Dell support without wasting any time troubleshooting this by yourself. You have only 21 days to return.

8 Posts

February 11th, 2006 21:00

Well, I've been working with Dell support since the problems started...they have sent me the XP Media Edition DVD, the drivers & utilities CD and most recently, the 5 software restoration CD's.  When I first tried to use the Symantec recovery, I would attempt it and it would say the restore point was either missing or corrupted.  When I tried to restore to an image I had created when I got the PC, I got various errors along with the "blue screen of death".

I have run the hardware diagnostics and they all pass.  Also, I am unable to boot to safe mode or safe mode w/command prompt.  When I try, I see a bunch of drivers paths & names scroll through the screen and then my PC reboots.

Finally, when I run the tests on the driver & utility CD, errors are produced during the system memory tests.  I finally spoke with a rep who is now sending me replacement memory.  Could bad memory be the cause of all my issues?

Thx

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 11th, 2006 23:00

Call and ask for a replacement system. There's no way you should have to put up with this on a brand new computer.
No Events found!