Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2011 13:00

XP downgrade on Latitude E5520 with 512E Advanced Format Drive

I need to downgrade a new Latitude E5520 to XP to run current software used on-site.  I have read and reread the posting www.dell.com/5512e-drives.  Is there a step by step ANY place to complete this.

1 Message

September 23rd, 2011 13:00

Just go into BIOS and change to ATA mode.  I had the same problem. I kept getting the BSOD when trying to downgrade to XP.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2011 13:00

Changing SATA to ATA or Compatibility Mode is a poor workaround for XP not finding the drives (or BSOD-ing trying to talk to the controller), as drives in ATA mode are incapable of using any of the features that make SATA better than old IDE/ATA drives.  The correct way to address this is to use the storage driver (usually the chipset driver) to see and use the hard drive in SATA/AHCI mode.

This is the driver you will need to use:

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx

Since XP can only obtain storage drivers from a floppy disk at the F6 prompt during Windows setup, you can either use a USB floppy drive, or (better) you can use nLiteOS.com to integrate the storage driver into your XP installation files.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 24th, 2011 03:00

For more information on using nlite refer to the guide I made here. Use the new disc to install XP. 

Dell has XP drivers available here, ensure that you install in the correct order.

Follow the guide below a clean install of Windows XP if you need more details.

No Events found!