Highlighted
boisderoche
1 Copper

XP install disk doesn't boot

Recently, my computer had a BSoD.  I tried to restart.  Gets through the Dell splash screen and then a black screen with a blinking cursor.  I ran SpinRite on the drive.  There was 1 block could not be recovered.  The block number was 6661479.  So, my harddrive is possessed.:emotion-14:  I've got everything important backed up.  And, I think the drive is actually still ok.  There were no other bad blocks on the drive (according to SpinRite).

So, I would like to reinstall XP.

1) I tried changing BIOS setting to try boot from CD before harddrive w/ F2 .   XP install CD winds up after the Dell splashscreen, but still ends up at a black screen with a blinking cursor. 
2) I tried booting from CD explicitly w/ F12, but it just hangs after my selection.
3) I tried putting my Dell Resource CD and rebooting, that worked... chose 'Boot from CD' vs. 'Boot from harddrive'... looks like it loaded and tested some drivers... looks like Windows98?  not sure why the Resource CD uses Windows98?  eventually get menu of 6 options: graphics test, 32-bit diag, 3com thing, DOS session, reboot, or quit (return to DOS)... tried quit.  Got a DOS prompt.  1) Couldn't find my harddrive (tried A: through E:) and  2) Replaced the Dell ResourceCD with the XP install CD and tried to run the SETUP.EXE, but got an error saying, 'The program cannot run in DOS mode'

Any ideas on what I can do from here?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
boisderoche
1 Copper

Re: XP install disk doesn't boot

So, I think I'm missing the Dell Operating System CD that came with my desktop.  The Manual reinstall page says to put in the XP cd, but I think I need to boot with the Dell Operating System CD.  I apparently have misplaced the OpSys Cd.  Where can I get another one?  Can I download it and burn it on a CD?

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

What model PC?  Many that were delivered with XP have a Dell recovery partition on the hard drive, accessed by CTRL/F11 at POST (Power On Self Test) and this will restore the PC to the original factory configuration, and no discs are needed.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
boisderoche
1 Copper

The owners manual just says its a Dell Dimension XPS.  I bought it in 2003.  Ctrl-F11 is not an option.  When I press F12 to get into the boot menu, there is an option for 'Boot to Utility Partition'.  But, choosing that doesn't do anything.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

The model number is usually on the front panel of the PC.  A 2003 model XPS sounds like possibly an XPS200.   The Dell recovery was not on PC's in that era so the CTRL/F11 won't work.  

Since the Dell Resource disc works, it sounds like the Windows XP disc may be bad.  If you know someone with a Windows XP  disc, even if it's not a Dell OEM disc, you can try that to confirm.  If that is the case you will have to try and find a Dell OEM Windows XP that is the same version that you have or but a new Retail copy (a legitimate copy that can be activated by Microsoft).  Dell used to have a way of getting discs but they have discontinued providing XP discs.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
boisderoche
1 Copper

There is no model number on the front panel.  Around the power button just says 'Dimension XPS'.  On the back it says the model number is WHL.

I tried another set of XP disks, but still no luck.  CD spins, but then shows 'strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility'.

When you say same version, do you mean product ID?  On the side there is a Microsoft XP sticker that has a product ID on it.  For whatever reason, it doesn't match either of the XP disks that I have.  Do these have to match?

0 Kudos