Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2008 14:00

XP problem

Hi there

I have had some problems geting my laptop to recognise , a second user Hard drive , it had windows XP home edition on it , I decided to install my xp pro sp2 onto it , which it works ok now , but everytime I switch my pc on it comes to a window asking which system do i want run ,xp  home edition or xp pro , how do I get rid of the xp home edition , I thought it would do it when I put my xp pro on it , as anyone got any ideas .

cheers

spike44

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 9th, 2008 16:00

Sounds like you did a parallel install of XP, meaning you now have both versions on the hard drive. No easy way to remove one of them, aside from a reformat and clean reinstall.

Run msconfig and click Boot.Ini tab. Click "Check Boot Paths" button and accept the offer to remove the invalid one. If it says they're both valid, you'll have to manually edit the boot.ini file to remove XP home from the boot menu. Be sure to follow the directions carefully.

Ron

4.4K Posts

November 9th, 2008 16:00

Could you please copy and paste the contents of the boot.ini file It opens in Notepad. It should be in C:\ or you can access it from

Control panel, system applet, Advanced tab, click on settings in the startup and recovery panel, click on Edit. It will open in Notepad.

If you are familiar with the boot.ini contents, you could delete the line in that that refers to XP Home. But be warned, if you delete or change the wrong entries, your PC will not boot at all.

When you installed XP Pro onto the drive that had XP home, did you format the C:\ partition? If not, you could try starting over (but of course back up any personal files and data first, as the format will delete everything.

139 Posts

November 10th, 2008 02:00

Hi there

Sorry I counted my chickens to quick with my reply ,  I rebooted then it come up with the following message .

You have used the System Config Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts  .

The system config utility is currently runing in diagnostic or selective mode , causing this message to be dissplayed  , and the utility to run

every time windows starts .

Choose the normal start up mode on the general tab to start windows normaly and undo the changes you made useing the system config utility .

spike44

139 Posts

Hi again

just a bit more info , when i click on the ,check all boot paths , it shows partition (1) xp pro and partition (2) xp home .

cheers

spike44

139 Posts

Hi there Thanks guy's

Sorted , it was not valid so deleted all ok .

thanks again

spike44

139 Posts

November 10th, 2008 09:00

Hi there

Sorted I deleted the line in the edit boot.ini with notepad and whala done .

thanks guy's for all your help .

cheers

spike44

4.4K Posts

November 10th, 2008 15:00

Hi there

Sorry I counted my chickens to quick with my reply ,  I rebooted then it come up with the following message .

You have used the System Config Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts  .

The system config utility is currently runing in diagnostic or selective mode , causing this message to be dissplayed  , and the utility to run

every time windows starts .

Choose the normal start up mode on the general tab to start windows normaly and undo the changes you made useing the system config utility .

spike44 

For your information, when you make a change using msconfig, next time you boot you get that message. That is to allow you to undo the changers if you wish. If you are satisfied, check the box at the bottojm of that message window. Next time you restart, it won't show up.

No Events found!