Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2010 17:00

XP reinstallation disc questions

I just got off the phone with a man who has a Latitude D520 for sale that I was going to buy until I asked if it comes with the XP reinstallation disc. He said he doesn't have that but can make me a copy of his disc he used to install Windows on the machine, and that it would be legit. This is too deep for me. I thought that one could only install onto one machine.  If anybody knows what he is saying he will do and can explain it to me I would appreciate it.

On a related issue -- I have the XP installation disc  for my Inspiron 1100. If I were to buy the D520 (without a disc) I don't suppose I could use my 1100 disc should the need ever arise?

Last question, if I were to buy the D520 sans discs, could I make a ghost image of the OS? I have Norton Systemworks Pro 2004 with whatever version of Ghost came with it. Is it hard to do?

PS I doubt that guy is the original owner who could get the discs from Dell, and the D520 model does not come with PC Restore.

6.4K Posts

July 26th, 2010 19:00

I'm not a lawyer, but I do see a problem with the seller's duplication of a copyrighted CD.  If the CD he is talking about is the CD that was shipped with the computer, legally it is part of the computer and should be conveyed with the computer to the new owner.

With regard to installing the software from such a CD to the laptop, it is dependent upon whether or not there is a valid COA affixed to the case.  If so, you are free to use any Dell Windows XP installation CD that contains the same version of Win XP that is stated on the affixed COA.  The license is with the machine, not the CD.

The D520 uses SATA drives, but I see no drivers for the AHCI interface in the D520 downloads.  This indicates that the main board translates the SATA interface to IDE so that those drivers can be used, so you should not have a mass storage problem.  The D520 uses a PCI-e video bus, however, so the installation CD must incorporate at least Service Pack 2 (assuming you're installing Windows XP).

With regard to imaging the drive, while I've never done it, the recent versions of the popular imaging programs will see and use a USB port.  This allows you to clone the drive to a replacement mounted in a USB drive shell.  I'm afraid I don't know if the 2004 version has that capability.  The drive shells themselves usually work great; I generally clean install on my laptop, but I then connect the drive shell and import all my folders.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 27th, 2010 06:00

With regard to installing the software from such a CD to the laptop, it is dependent upon whether or not there is a valid COA affixed to the case.  If so, you are free to use any Dell Windows XP installation CD that contains the same version of Win XP that is stated on the affixed COA.  The license is with the machine, not the CD.

The seller told me something like that but I wanted to check it out because I am clueless about how Windows installation works in regards to COA and product key. I had it backwards and thought the key was unique to the cd. I thought that because if I were to buy a new Windows installation disc the COA would come with the disc. But in that hypothetical situation I suppose I would be replacing the license that Dell put on the computer with the new license?

The D520 uses a PCI-e video bus, however, so the installation CD must incorporate at least Service Pack 2 (assuming you're installing Windows XP).

My re-installation disc is for XP Home Edition SP1a. If I were to install it on the D520 (assuming that it has a similar sticker on the case) would the display work enough for me to be able download SP2? Or would it just not work at all?

I'm not a lawyer, but I do see a problem with the seller's duplication of a copyrighted CD.  If the CD he is talking about is the CD that was shipped with the computer, legally it is part of the computer and should be conveyed with the computer to the new owner.

So maybe what he is doing is using one Dell XP  cd on various Dell computers that he sells. He told me that he "works on computers".

I generally clean install on my laptop,

I see a lot of posts on the Laptop Audio Forum that begin, "I just got a new Dell laptop and did a clean install..." and it makes me wonder if all of those people go out and but a new Windows installation disc to install on their new laptops, or they just happen to have unused Windows discs laying around. If I were to buy a new disc wouldn't I be limited to installing it on one machine?

Thanks Sorry this is so disjointed -- I'm trying to think this through.

6.4K Posts

July 27th, 2010 09:00

Things have changed a lot in the way the os media has been handled over the years.  In the '90's, the os media included a COA sticker affixed to either the envelope containing the disk, or on a card in the package that contained the os media.  When Dell began shipping with Windows Me I noticed that the sticker was no longer included in the package, but was affixed to the case of the computer.  That was continued with Windows XP.  Anyone who found it necessary to request replacement os media was shipped the OEM version which does not include a COA sticker on its envelope.  The only exception of which I'm aware is in the instance that a user orders an upgrade; many of those included a COA on the packaging.  I've not had the pleasure of restoring a computer to Vista or Windows 7, but Windows XP OEM almost never requires the installer to enter the product code from the sticker.  That is just as well since Microsoft will not allow activation of an OEM product code on line, and you must be able to convince the Microsoft rep you're not doing something that violates their EULA if you try activating by phone.

The problem with using a Win XP SP-1a disk is that it will not have drivers for your PCI-e video on that machine.  This normally means that setup will hang during the inspection phase as it won't see the video card.  You must have SP-2 on the disk in order to get those drivers.

As discussed earlier, it is legal to use the same OEM Windows XP installation CD to install Windows XP on any number of Dell computers provided the version being installed matches the version stated on the COA sticker.  The license is with the machine, not the CD.  Dell uses SLP, a code in the BIOS of a Dell computer which is verified by corresponding code in a Dell labeled installation CD.  When the disk gets booted, the first thing it does is check for the signature, and if found, the installation is automatically activated.   The system has no need for on-line or phone activation.  If the signature is not found during the boot process, such as is the case if a main board has been replaced with a non-Dell part, the setup program requests activation just as it normally would for a commercially purchased disk.  The only problem is that activating it is nearly impossible as there is no valid product code for it, and even if you enter the code from the case of the machine, you will be directed to phone Microsoft as it cannot activate on line.  Sometimes, however, setup will simply reject the product code as invalid since Microsoft evidently uses a different format for OEM disks.

Again, the disks are not locked to a specific machine.  The SLP code is the same on all of them, and if you are using the proper version of Windows XP, the system should automatically activate the installation.  The only thing you need watch out for is that Dell sold some machines without an operating system.  These were for customers that were using non-Microsoft os and had no wish to pay for a Windows license they would not use.  If you try using a Dell installation disk on such a machine, setup will request activation just as it would on a non-Dell machine.  I don't recall that Dell ever sold Latitudes in this condition, but I didn't keep track of every model that had this as an option.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 28th, 2010 07:00

Thanks for taking the time to explain these things to me.

6.4K Posts

July 28th, 2010 12:00

You're quite welcome, glad I could help.  Best of luck to you!

July 4th, 2014 05:00

DESPITE LEGAL AND/OR ETHICAL ISSUES OF INSTALLING AN OPERATING SYSTEM FROM A PIRATED DISC...SUPPOSING YOUR DISC HAS A VALID COA AND IS LEGIT...IF IT IS A GENERAL WINDOWS DISC AND IS NOT A MODEL-SPECIFIC RESTORE DISC...YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEMS BOOTING FROM THE DISC AND RE-INSTALLING WINDOWS.

HOWEVER...MODEL-SPECIFIC DRIVERS AND FEATURES WILL NOT BE INSTALLED WITH A CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS...JUST BASIC FUNCTIONS. THE FIRST THING I WOULD DO IS MAKE SURE YOUR NETWORK CARD OR WIFI DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED...SO YOU CAN GET ONLINE TO UPDATE NEEDED DRIVERS AND APPLICATIONS.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 4th, 2014 06:00

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on my question from 2010. I did not buy the used computer after all..

THE FIRST THING I WOULD DO IS MAKE SURE YOUR NETWORK CARD OR WIFI DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED...SO YOU CAN GET ONLINE TO UPDATE NEEDED DRIVERS AND APPLICATIONS.

I still have my Inspiron 1100 and its XP re-install disc, but I doubt that I would let that machine be exposed to the internet now. (I have other computers and devices for that purpose.)

Welcome to the forum and thanks again.

[PS your caps lock is on.]

No Events found!