Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 27th, 2014 13:00

XPS 15 F8 key won't respond to do factory image restore

Have an XPS 15 L501X I'm trying to clean up to part with. Have all my personal data off and uninstalled all software I added. Went to my Dell online manual to do the factory image restore, and the starting point was to tap F8 key when Dell logo appears, to access advanced boot options.. Have done this many times over the last 20 years with my Dell computers, usually F2 to access Setup. This computer works well when I hit F2 for setup and F12 for boot options. But it will not respond to the F8 key to bring up the Advance boot options needed to do the factory image. Have tried 30 or so times and it just continues on to loading windows. is there another way to access this screen, or something else I can try. I've had no other problems with computer. Ran the Dell hardware diagnostics and everything passed.. Loooked in the D partion and it appears the Dell image restore files are all there, I just can't access the F8 to get to them. I've made no changes or done anything with the D partition and the Hard drive is the original.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 28th, 2014 01:00

You need to Tap F8 repeatedly similar to what I have done here:

18 Posts

July 28th, 2014 16:00

I have tried it about 30 times, I have tried continuous tapping from when the Dell logo appears, and even started tapping just before the logo appears. In every case it just continues on to loading Windows. I have no problem bringing up F2 setup or F 12 boot options.

18 Posts

July 29th, 2014 05:00

Hi again. After reading your response and making my initial reply, I thought, well, I'll try again. The 31st try same result as before even though I began tapping as soon as I saw logo. The 32nd try I started tapping as soon as I hit the power button and heard the hard drive come alive, and willed my 77 year old index finger to tap faster than it had on the 31 previous tries. I knew by the extended delay before a screen appeared that this try was different and sure enough, up came the advanced boot options and repair my computer. What puzzles me is why I could activate F2 and F12 on the first try and F8 was such a problem, Whatever, I completed the factory image restore and spent a couple of hours doing a couple hundred Microsoft updates. My computer is now clean and fresh. Thanks again.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 29th, 2014 10:00

The F2 and F12 are to do with the system BIOS which is related to the system hardware so work when pressed straight away usually when held down.

Tapping F8 is related to Windows and only works when tapped.

I'm glad you managed to get it to work. :)

No Events found!