Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2009 02:00

XPS 630i Cant load patch

I recently bought a XPS 630i and when i tried to patch World of Warcraft recently i got this error. -

The file "\base\world\maps\Northrend\Northrend_33_18.adt" could not be opened
When patching World of Warcraft, the game will make extensive use of your memory and system bus, if there is any instability you may receive and similar error messages

Q u o t e:
The patch "base\world\maps\Northrend\Northrend_38_21.adt" could not be applied. (CRC mismatch: expected 0xab89e8a2, actual 0xf140a24d.)

If you experience any error messages of this type the following support article may help.
http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=37232

Now after looking at the link i went to check my system and found the Bus Speed is diffrent from my DRAM speed. Ive phoned Dell already and they werent able to help, now there is clearly somthing wrong if i cant patch my game..dell blame blizzard and blizzard blame dell. So far it looks like the evidence shows its Dells fault...any idea how to fix this?

Support over the phone fails!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2009 04:00

There is a gaming section on the forum, suggest you repost there so the gamers can help you. 

But, I wouldn't be so quick to blame Dell.  Dell and/or Microsoft doesn't have to make their PC compatible with the game, the game must be compatible with the Hardware and software.   The CRC mismatch suggests a bad file in the patch more than a PC problem.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2009 16:00

Sounds like you should be talking directly to Dell then instead of us Non Dell Employee users, which is what this forum mostly is - users helping users.

I've been in computers (including working as a NASA Programmer) since 1962 and it's always been the applications software or if a machine is required to run a certain software program it's up to the user to do whatever is needed to the hardware to make it work with the program - we never had a hardware vendor, including IBM and other "big" computer manufacturers to modify their hardware or at least modify it free.

I'll acknowledge 630i users are having problems with this game, but unless the hardware vendor, in this case Dell, specifically states that the PC is 100% compatible with the specific game that leaves the hardware vendor off the hook and it's up to the user to change whatever is needed if they want the hardware to work with that game. 

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 16:00

There is a gaming section which this post has already been on like a month? But its just more people with the same problem

I would be so quick to blame dell if you bothered to look at the like and research the problem you would find all 630i users have problems and nobody else does. Its not Blizzard its the PC.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19275859.aspx thats the link to the old thread....very helpful eh?

Blizzard have said its Dell's problem and ive found evidence Dell admit theres problems so dont blame blizzard. First post was just cut and pasted from my original but really Dell have to come up with some answers .

No Events found!