Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2016 17:00

XPS 8300-Clean install of Windows on a new SSD

Hello.

I am refurbishing a Dell XPS 8300, Core i7, Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit. I have the Dell OS install disk.

Will NOT be installing RAID array.

Re: the Intel RST and HECI drivers:

This system will not be getting a RAID. I would still like to install the IRST drivers. Not sure about the HECI driver.

Should I install both?

Do I NEED either?

If I want the IRST, do I need to F6 the RAID driver during OS install or can I install IRST after OS install?

Same questions for the HECI driver (basically).

Also, should I be using the Dell-supplied IRST driver (2013) or should I go with the most recent IRST from the Intel site? (Same question can be asked about the Intel Chipset Software Inst. Utility)

Edit:

I just checked the machine I built one year ago (ASUS, Skylake, Z170) and it has both the IRST and Intel Management Engine components. They must have been on the mobo drivers disk, but I have no recollection of doing an F6 RAID driver install during OS install. I don't remember installing the IRST either but I did do it. I must be getting too old.

Edit #2:

Hmm, my 2010 Toshiba laptop also has the IRST and IMEC installed. Never noticed before.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 4th, 2016 09:00

Set the SATA operation to AHCI and ensure you have the Legacy BIOS version A06 (Latest BIOS Update). I have never needed to load SATA preinstalaltion drivers on my XPS 8300 using Windows 10 RS1 or Windows 7 SP1 Installation Media...

For Windows 7 I tend to use the latest Chipset drivers from Intel.  

19 Posts

December 4th, 2016 13:00

Thank you for the reply.

The machine already has the A06 BIOS, and I believe the BIOS runs in AHCI mode by default. As for the F6 pre-install driver installation, I'm thinking that is only needed if you are setting up a RAID array.

Do you think the latest IRST installer from the Intel site is best choice or will the 2013 file from Dell be good enough?

And what of that HECI driver? I am not really familiar with it. Should I install it or pass it over?

No Events found!