Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2012 11:00

XPS 8300 Front Panel USB Ports Not Working After Sleep Mode Using Win 7 64

I have searched the forum and various other sites and have not been able to determine the solution to this problem.

The issue is the following:  When I put my system to Sleep mode and then wake the system to resume, all of my front panel USB ports and Media card readers slots are not available for use (and not visible in the Device Manger).  There is power going to the ports, as when I plug in a portable drive it will power up, but will not be registered, as the USB is not visible.  They are only visible after a reboot of the system.  I've already unchecked "allow to turn off the power" in the Power Management tab in the Device Manager and turned off the logging in the BIOS settings.  Are there registry settings or the power configuration settings that need to be enabled/disabled?

I have run out of ideas on what else can I do to get the front panel ports working other than rebooting the system everytime I need to get access to the front USB ports (which is very annoying). 

My specs for my XPS 8300 are the following:

Intel i7-2600, with 12 GB of RAM, 1 TB HD in RAID 0,  DVDRW/BD, ATI HD 5670 - 1 GB, Windows 7 64 bit Home, DELL P2411H Monitor, BIOS updated to A06

1.8K Posts

September 11th, 2012 11:00

Hi aka313,

You can try the following steps:

Check the "USB selective suspends settings" option in the Power Options.

• Click Start, type ‘Power Options’ in the Search box and then click ‘Power Options’ from the returned list.
  • Click ‘Change plan settings’ for the selected ‘Power plan’.
  • Click ‘Change advanced power settings’.
  • Expand ‘USB settings’ and then ‘USB selective suspend’ setting and change the setting to Disabled for the option for On battery: or Plugged in:
  • Click OK on the Power Settings window and click Save changes on the Edit Plan Settings window

Important: This is a default power setting, disabling this setting will cause additional battery power consumption when your mobile PC is in Sleep or Hibernation mode and unplugged.

If this does not work, you can uninstall USB root hubs from your computer.

Uninstall USB root hubs from computer:

• Open Device Manager by clicking Start/Windows logo on desktop --> ‘Control Panel’ --> ‘System and Maintenance’ --> ‘Device Manager’. 

Note:  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

• Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’
  • From the list, look for ‘USB Root Hub’
  • Right click, choose ‘Uninstall’, choose ‘Ok’
  • Uninstall all ‘USB Root Hub’ listed
  • Wait for all the drivers to get uninstalled
  • Restart the computer
  • Restarting the computer will install ‘USB Root Hub’s automatically on the computer
  • Check if it works.

If the issue is still not resolved, you can update the Chipset drivers for your computer.

You can download the chipset drivers for your computer from the link below:

1. Intel AMT HECI: http://dell.to/S8g0bT
  2. Intel chipset: http://dell.to/QCUkHI

Steps to download drivers:-

• Click 'Download' to download the list to a folder you will designate.
  • Click 'Save'. Then designate the folder you would like to save the files to.
  • Once you have designated the folder you would like to save your files to, Click 'OK'.
  • Selected downloads will automatically start downloading. You can Pause , Stop , or Continue  downloading the items you have selected. Next is Installation.
  • To start installation, Click Open folder. Right-click a downloaded file and select the option to ‘Run as administrator’.
  • A small window will appear with 'Continue' and 'Exit' buttons, click 'Continue'.
  • In the Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to window, click OK.
  • If a message appears asking to create a folder, click 'Yes'. If a message appears asking to overwrite the folder, click 'Yes to All'.
  • In the All files were successfully unzipped window, click OK.
  • A new window will appear, follow the prompts that appear to finish the installation.
  • Restart your computer.

Please reply in case you have further questions.

8 Posts

September 12th, 2012 13:00

Thank you for your assistance.  I've now have a working USB ports on the front panel on my XPS 8300.  It looks like it required a refresh of the Intel Chipset drivers as I tried the previous suggestions with no changes to the condition.

8 Posts

December 13th, 2012 10:00

A quick follow up question to the solution.  While I now have access to the front panel USB ports, after a few times of going into and out of Sleep mode, the ports become unavailable.  I would then need to reboot the system to have it restored.  What would be the cause for the loss of the USB ports?  Do I need to periodically refresh the drivers after every system update/patch?

1.8K Posts

December 14th, 2012 05:00

Hi aka313,

It appears to be an issue with Operating system and power options for USB ports. To save power, Windows automatically shuts down the power to USB ports.

To prevent Windows from “managing” power to your USB controller or devices, you can follow the steps given below:

Open Device Manager by typing 'devmgmt.msc' in the Start > Search panel.

The Device Manager window will open.  Expand the 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' branch then double-click the 'USB Root Hub device', and choose the 'Power Management' tab.

Turn off the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' by 'unchecking' the box then click the OK button:

Repeat the step on each USB root hub or do it only for USB ports that you want to be permanently powered on.

Please reply with the findings.

8 Posts

December 14th, 2012 08:00

As stated previously, I have already unchecked the selection and reloaded the drivers.  My issue is that after I go into Sleep mode a few times the USB ports will then be unavailable until I reboot the pc. Once rebooted, I will have access to the USB's and when I go into Sleep mode a few more times after, the USB ports on the front panel will unavailable.  I have noticed that it happens a lot more frequently after I complete a Windows patch update.  I'm not sure if a registery setting is being set/reset or is that the drivers need to be reloaded after a Windows patch update to ensure that the drivers are working correctly.

December 17th, 2012 06:00

Hi  aka313,

I am replying on behalf of Dell_Chinmay_S. As you have already tried all troubleshooting steps and the USB ports are working when you reboot the PC, it is definitely an issue with either any software or the operating system. You can get this issue resolved by trying to take the system back to the factory default settings.

Note: Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost. 

PC Restore steps for Windows 7 (PC restore is done from a image saved in partition in the hard drive. If you have tried an operating system installation previously, PC restore may not work.

1. Turn on the Computer and start pressing the “F8” Key on the first Dell logo. Keep on pressing the “F8” key on first Dell screen until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.

2. Highlight "Repair Your Computer" and hit enter.

3. Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.

4. Enter your Password and click ok.

5. On Choose a Recover Tool Window

Select: Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup

6. You Get:

• Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files
  • 2 Select other System Backup and more options

7. Select: Select other System Backup and more options

You get:

•  Restore my computer
  •  Backup Files and folders

8. Select: Restore my computer.

9. Confirm the restore and continue.

10. Select: Factory Image restore

11. Choose Restore without preserving new or changed files and click on Next.

12. Click on Continue.

13. When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.

The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received. You can also check the link below for more information on PC restore.

http://dell.to/OxBO5H  

Hope this helps. Do reply for any further help.

No Events found!