Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2012 14:00

XPS 8300 Motherboard Upgrade - What OS Problems Will I Have?

Hi Everyone,

I have an XPS 8300 i7.  I want to change the existing motherboard to Asus P8P67 PRO.  Has anyone done anything similar and faced any problems?  Mainly, any problems with a re-install of Win 7 from recovery discs.  Does anyone know the Dell motherboard is linked to the Win 7 install?

Thanks in advance

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 10th, 2012 15:00

You would need to buy a valid retail license for Windows 7.  The license that comes with the computer is called OEM, is specific to Dell, and is restricted to the computer with which it shipped.  Generally, the installation disk will check the BIOS to see if it is a Dell system; if not, it will usually abort the install.  I've heard of instances where it will install, but in any case, it will not accept the Product Key for activation.

Other things to watch out for, which are common for this type of project ... various control panel and peripheral devices in the system do not always have standard connectors, so sometimes rewireing a connector is necessary.  I can't say for certain for the 8300 in particular.  Also the alignment of mounting holes can affect how easily other boards can be used.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 12th, 2012 14:00

I have an XPS 8300 i7.  I want to change the existing motherboard to Asus P8P67 PRO. 

It just occurred to me to check the P8P67 PRO mainboard ... it's an ATX and the XPS 8300 is a micro-ATX. Therefore, you cannot use that board in your case; if you want to replace the mainboard in the case, you are restricted to micro-ATX mainboards.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

The BIOS on your new motherboard must be a Dell if you hope to use Dell recovery discs.

Is there anyway around this?  Or would I need to buy a retail copy of Win 7?

February 10th, 2012 15:00

Thanks guys, much appreciated

64 Posts

February 10th, 2012 16:00

Use the Windows 7 disc you have and the Product Key from the Certificate of Authenticity on your Dell PC. Installation will not be aborted.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 10th, 2012 19:00

With a third-party/non-Dell motherboard?  I don't think so.  Even IF it didn't abort the install (which my experience says it probably will) and IF it does allow you to activate Windows using the Product Key from the COA (again, my experience says it will not), it is NOT legal - it is a violation of the EULA you agree to when running Windows.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 10th, 2012 23:00

From my experience, the key will activate. As has been stated, such a use would be a violation of the OEM agreement, although in some countries the law might supersede those restrictive terms. The key will likely activate even with a regular retail or OEM copy of Windows (for those who want to reinstall but don't have the factory disc).

Install a third party SATA card before the swap and use it for the first boot after the swap, and the Windows install should repair itself, saving a reinstall. (The OP can purchase an OEM copy of Windows and enter its key for activation.)

The only key I've seen that wouldn't activate was from a Family Pack; it would only activate on an upgrade, not a clean install. The upgraded instance (Vista, in that case) did not have to be activated itself.

64 Posts

February 11th, 2012 16:00

Let the OP decide what he/she wants to do. I for one will not buy another licence unnecessarily. You said installation would be aborted but that was true up to Windows 2000 Professional.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 11th, 2012 18:00

Let the OP decide what he/she wants to do. I for one will not buy another licence unnecessarily.

Sure, no one is forcing him to do one thing over another, but not doing so is a illegal in nearly every country (if not all).

that was true up to Windows 2000 Professional

I've never messed with 2000 or previous, so that can't be true.  My experience says it will not allow it, but I'm not saying that is the only outcome anyone can ever experience - I've heard people say they have been able to, then others that they could not.

He asked for potential problems with this project ... there it is ... a potential problem.

64 Posts

February 12th, 2012 05:00

[quote user="CALLMENUJAK"]Let the OP decide what he/she wants to do. I for one will not buy another licence unnecessarily.

Sure, no one is forcing him to do one thing over another, but not doing so is a illegal in nearly every country (if not all).

that was true up to Windows 2000 Professional

I've never messed with 2000 or previous, so that can't be true.  My experience says it will not allow it, but I'm not saying that is the only outcome anyone can ever experience - I've heard people say they have been able to, then others that they could not.

He asked for potential problems with this project ... there it is ... a potential problem.

[/quote]

If you have never had experience with Windows 2000 how can you KNOW what is true or not? I'm talking from experience and not hearsay! Dell Windows 2000 discs would not install on non Dell motherboards/BIOS. Dell XP and Vista Discs will install on non Dell motherboards and so will Windows 7. Microsoft do have a EULA but I view this as a licence to print money. Microsoft law is not law of the land and I think in many places the EULA would be deemed to be unfair. Anyway if the OP activates over the phone they will be asked how many PC's is the key being used on and if the answer is one and it goes through the activation would have been allowed by Microsoft. If it activates online without the phone call it would have been allowed by Microsoft. If activation fails then purchase another licence. This is what I would do.

Yes there is a POTENTIAL problem but you have made a POTENTIAL problem definite without any experience whatsoever!

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

February 12th, 2012 08:00

Yes there is a POTENTIAL problem but you have made a POTENTIAL problem definite without any experience whatsoever!

We are talking about Windows 7 and the original answer was that there may be potential problem.  You need to learn to read.

Also, you may think the EULA is "a licence to print money", but the ToS you agreed to when you joined this message board disallows advocating illegal actions. Dell abides by the EULA. THe surest way to get yourself kicked off this message board is to advocate illegal actions. Think before you continue to spew your disdain of Microsoft.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 12th, 2012 10:00

Also, you may think the EULA is "a licence to print money", but the ToS you agreed to when you joined this message board disallows advocating illegal actions.
Microsoft's heavy-handed EULA terms (introduced with Vista in 2006) can be superseded by law, and that may be the case in some countries.

64 Posts

February 12th, 2012 10:00

I have an XPS 8300 i7.  I want to change the existing motherboard to Asus P8P67 PRO.  Has anyone done anything similar and faced any problems?  Mainly, any problems with a re-install of Win 7 from recovery discs.  Does anyone know the Dell motherboard is linked to the Win 7 install?

I am not advocating anything illegal. I think you are the one who needs to re-read what has been asked instead of being insulting just because you don't agree with the actual facts that I have stated. This fact is true of Windows 7 whether activated online or over the telephone.

Also have you never heard unfair Terms and Conditions?

My life will go on or end regardless of being able to post on this forum.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 12th, 2012 12:00

If you have never had experience with Windows 2000 how can you KNOW what is true or not? I'm talking from experience and not hearsay! Dell Windows 2000 discs would not install on non Dell motherboards/BIOS. Dell XP and Vista Discs will install on non Dell motherboards and so will Windows 7.

lol ... you say I can't read ... I've never never done anything like this on 2000, but I have seen the issue first-hand on other OS's, which means that the "issue" did not end with 2000 as you said it did.  I have also not said anything about it being "definite" because I've seen mixed results and heard some (but not all) others have had different results ... I was merely giving him a head's up on potential (perhaps I need to define this word) problems he might face.  With mixed results out there, you can't tell him with any more surety that it will work than I can tell him it won't, regardless of which of us ends up being right in his case.  There are better ways to install Vista/7, even in this kind of situation, making the question of whether or not it will work with a Dell DVD pointless; it is the license that is the real issue.

Regardless of whether you or rd feel it is "fair", that is the law in the US (and I would bet in nearly every place - "may be the case in some countries" doesn't mean it is the case anywhere) - and the price you pay for using Microsoft's software (all licensed software has a certain price you pay to use it beyond the sticker price).  If you don't like their terms, there are alternatives out there under whose license you may not feel as tightly bound.  OEM software comes at a substantial discount; with that discount, comes more restrictive usage (transer of license among them).

Captain ... I'm sorry for the direction this thread has taken, and I wish you well in whatever you decide to do.  cmj (and similar users, if not one and the same) are only here to pick fights, and I refuse to be sucked in as so many others have done on other threads, so I will sign off this thread here.  Good luck.

No Events found!