Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2012 14:00

XPS 8300 Motherboard Upgrade - What OS Problems Will I Have?

Hi Everyone,

I have an XPS 8300 i7.  I want to change the existing motherboard to Asus P8P67 PRO.  Has anyone done anything similar and faced any problems?  Mainly, any problems with a re-install of Win 7 from recovery discs.  Does anyone know the Dell motherboard is linked to the Win 7 install?

Thanks in advance

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 12th, 2012 14:00

You would need to buy a valid retail license for Windows 7.

At least in the U.S. and Canada, the OP can buy an OEM version for a huge discount. Microsoft will not provide support, and the OEM version will not perform upgrades, only clean installs (although its key can be used to activate an upgrade performed with a retail or Enterprise edition).

In the old days, Microsoft would insist that OEM versions be sold with hardware, but that is no longer the case. You are free to buy a copy by itself.

64 Posts

February 12th, 2012 15:00

I have seen it and done it so I do know what I am talking about. Most of what you are saying is nonsense.

You are a know it all who knows nothing at all! There are better ways to install Vista/7, what are you talking about?

I've never messed with 2000 or previous, so that can't be true. What do you mean by this?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 12th, 2012 18:00

Install this Syba SATA II card along with its drivers before swapping. After swapping, use it for the first boot; that will allow Windows to boot. Once Windows has booted, use the driver CD to install the drivers for the new mainboard. The SATA card can then be removed

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 12th, 2012 19:00

[quote user="ieee488"]Also, you may think the EULA is "a licence to print money", but the ToS you agreed to when you joined this message board disallows advocating illegal actions.

Microsoft's heavy-handed EULA terms (introduced with Vista in 2006) can be superseded by law, and that may be the case in some countries.

[/quote]

It may be in "some" countries. There is no indication that the OP is in one of those "other" countries.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 12th, 2012 22:00

Edit: Officially, Microsoft licenses OEM copies only for machines built for resale. The official line on hobbyist terms can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_for_hobbyists.aspx

To think of all the times I've urged XP users to upgrade to 7 with an OEM copy of 7 Home Premium from Newegg ... at a cost two-thirds that of THREE Family Pack licenses (from Amazon). :)

February 14th, 2012 12:00

Why didn't I realise that!!!  Thanks very much, you've just saved me £120 and huge amount of egg for my face.

64 Posts

February 14th, 2012 15:00

Why didn't I realise that!!!  Thanks very much, you've just saved me £120 and huge amount of egg for my face.

Who are you thanking?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 14th, 2012 18:00

The dude who pointed out that the board is the wrong form factor for the chassis? :emotion-15:

There are various aftermarket mATX boards that will fit, although I don't know what the advantage would be unless the stock XPS 8300 mainboard lacks amenities like  USB 3 and SATA 6gbs.

2 Posts

March 13th, 2014 00:00

I really want to upgrade the motherboard on my xps 8300, this one is a few years old and is falling a part, things are failing here and there but I don't want the same motherboard, I would like a really nice one but I don't know what is compatable, when you try to find an answer on the net you just get garbage.

2 Posts

March 13th, 2014 00:00

I for one think mircosoft sucks and so do a lot of their products.. Windows 8 might not suck but it is not doing too well.  

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 13th, 2014 09:00

Define falling apart?

My XPS 8300 is still going strong and is working with both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

No Events found!