rdunnill
5 Iridium

Re: XPS 8300 Motherboard Upgrade - What OS Problems Will I Have?

Jump to solution

Edit: Officially, Microsoft licenses OEM copies only for machines built for resale. The official line on hobbyist terms can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_for_hobbyists.aspx

To think of all the times I've urged XP users to upgrade to 7 with an OEM copy of 7 Home Premium from Newegg ... at a cost two-thirds that of THREE Family Pack licenses (from Amazon). Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Why didn't I realise that!!!  Thanks very much, you've just saved me £120 and huge amount of egg for my face.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CALLMENUJAK
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Why didn't I realise that!!!  Thanks very much, you've just saved me £120 and huge amount of egg for my face.

Who are you thanking?

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

The dude who pointed out that the board is the wrong form factor for the chassis?

There are various aftermarket mATX boards that will fit, although I don't know what the advantage would be unless the stock XPS 8300 mainboard lacks amenities like  USB 3 and SATA 6gbs.

0 Kudos
StuCald
1 Copper

RE: XPS 8300 Motherboard Upgrade - What OS Problems Will I Have?

Jump to solution

I for one think mircosoft sucks and so do a lot of their products.. Windows 8 might not suck but it is not doing too well.  

0 Kudos
StuCald
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I really want to upgrade the motherboard on my xps 8300, this one is a few years old and is falling a part, things are failing here and there but I don't want the same motherboard, I would like a really nice one but I don't know what is compatable, when you try to find an answer on the net you just get garbage.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Define falling apart?

My XPS 8300 is still going strong and is working with both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos