Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2010 15:00

XPs 400 Fatal system errors when trying to Reinstall XP

Months ago after doing some work on this xps 400 I got a floppy disk seek error message press f1 or f2 I tried and tried and tried to fix the problem but Nothing I could ever do worked so I let it be since the computer seemed to work just fine.

Fast forward six months

My wife downloaded what she thought was a windows update and next thing she knew she got a blue screen and couldnt reboot the computer. I blew away the hard drive thinking it was a virus and tried to reinstall windows and keep getting one fatal system error after another. I wernt out and bought a new hard drive and tried again with the same result.

When I go to reinstall  the os it loads all the files asks for a restart. After restart the dreaded blue screen pops up with a different message than the last.  The last one stated c0000219 fatal system error windows subsystem process terminate ox7c82904b. Im thinking its either the mother board or somthing got screwed up in the bios. Can anyone point me in the right direction or  help me? anyone else ever have this problem.

2 Posts

September 30th, 2010 18:00

into the boios and tried to delete any floppy disk still showed the error. Went into the device manager and tried to delete it that way no dice. I took out the battery and tried to reset the bios, no dice. Im starting to think the bios is corrupted and will try to update it. I know thats my last resort, Unless you can think of anything else

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 30th, 2010 18:00

Usually, when you get the Floopy disk error at power on, that means the BIOS has been reset and the non exisitent floppy disk has been enabled in the BIOS.  Using F2 and entering the Setup (BIOS) and disabling the Floppy disk drive and removing it from the boot sequence takes care of it. 

The BIOS could have been reset due to a bad CR2032 CMOS backup battery located on the motherboard.  If a BIOS update was attempted it could have also caused the problem (and if a BIOS update is attempted and the BIOS is corrupted the ONLY option is to replace the motherboard - and only another XPS 400 motherboard will fit and work).

The original Dell hard drive has a diagnostic partiton on it, accessed by F12 at power on.  Suggest you reinstall this and run a complete set of diagnostics to see if anything shows up. 

No Events found!