Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2012 16:00

bootmgr missing???

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium (64bit). Everything was well until I had some issues and decided to do an in-place-upgrade using the installation CD that I received from Dell. I received an error message during the "extracting files" portion of the install; code was 0x80070017 and the install was cancelled. I tried rebooting my computer and received the message    bootmgr missing press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. I researched a little and decided it would be best to do a clean install (not a big deal, did not have much info on it anyway). I booted from the disk and followed the instructions and when I got to selecting which partition I wanted the OS installed on, they both seemed empty, nothing on them and all kinds of open space (both recovery and primary). I have more than enough hard drive space for this and had done it before some time ago so I know how to do it but research told me to use startup repair but there was no OS listed to repair. I tried system restore but no restore points were present (I had it set up do set up a restore point every time I installed something). Please help. If there is any additional info needed please let me know; I'm racking my brain over this and do not know what else to do. I have also tried command prompt entries to rebuild the bootmgr as directed by Microsoft help sites but nothing.... would really like this resolved soon as I am enrolled in online college.

3.8K Posts

May 21st, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Start by running a diagnostics on your hard drive. Press the F12 key at the Dell Logo, select diagnostics and run an extended diagnostics on your hard drive. Post back with any error codes.

If the diagnostics pass, use the below link to manually reinstall windows.

support.dell.com/.../document

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

2 Posts

May 21st, 2012 11:00

ran diagnostic again. got code 2000-0146. I believe this shows some corruption on hard drive. I have gotten this code before but had still been able to use computer. I was hoping I could still get around it again and try to block off that partition until I got a new hard drive but still have to figure out how to do that.

3.8K Posts

May 22nd, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Yes a error code of 2000-0146 is a failing hard drive.

If you have an Active Warranty, send me a Private Message, click on my user name, add me as a friend, and send me your Service Tag, phone number and address.

Thank you

Royan

No Events found!