kevin27
4 Beryllium

calling expert help with blue error sceen

Jump to solution

ive got a dell inspiron 6000 that has come up with the error blue screen with stop codes: 0x000000ED (0x8634c030,0xc000009c,0x00000000,0x00000000)

ive tried following the instructions on the screen and it wont let me boot in safe mode,no matter what i do all i get is the blue screen,

i rang dell and they talked me through a hard drive test(pressing FN on boot) which came back passed,they then told me it was a software problem, hence the reason ive posted my thread in this forum,

i have searched the forum for advice but only yesterday i solved a malware problem in the malware forum, on the dell inspiron 1501 im using to post this thread and learnt from there not to use someone else's advice as all problems are differant and could mess the computer up.

so any advice would be great as the inspiron 6000 is my girlfriends little brothers and he thinks because i fixed her mums one(the 1501) with advice from the forums im some sort of wizz kid (not the case) and wont leave me alone.

so please all advice welcome

thank you

kevin27

Malware Removal Staff at SpywareHammer

The Internet is the New Age Battle of the Old Age Clash Between Good and Evil

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kevin27
4 Beryllium

Re: calling expert help with blue error sceen

Jump to solution

ive been checkin the thread daily because i thought the same, but thought because it being new year he might of gone away or something and didnt want to keep posting and dont know how to get in touch with him.

and sorry to ask but noone really helping with this thread so i dont surpose you have any ideas.

would be a great help....

not to worry problem solved. i restored factory setting and all fine,but any advice on the best thing to do now,download and secruity wise would be great.:emotion-2:

View solution in original post

7 Replies
jec4312
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

do you have the full windows cd (not recovery cd)? Or can you borrow one that is the same as your OS? If so, you need to put the disk in the drive, work your way to recovery console and type chkdsk /r.   I think Dell were right to ask you to do a hard drive test as it can be to do with the hard disk.  The test I know about is press F12 on boot. 

It is true that similar problems can be caused by different things so you are wise to be cautious.  You could have a go at searching for your error message on google if you haven't done so already.

HTH

0 Kudos
kevin27
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

the disc's ive got are as follows:

operating system,reinstallation dvd,windows vista home basic 32bit

drivers and utilities,for reinstalling dell portable computer software

microsoft works 8.5

application,for reinstalling cyberlink powerdvd 7.0 software

roxio,roxio creator & my dvd 9.0 de

mcafee secruity center.

but the first and third have got bar code stickers with long numbers,will this affect them working as there from the workin 1501 and not the broken 6000,

im pretty sure they got the same os but can i confirm this any where.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
kevin27
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

will restoring factory setting help my problems or make them worse?

0 Kudos
DELL-Larry R
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

If the image restore partition is intact then using CTRL+F11 just after powering on the computer should reload the Dell factory image (as it was when you took it out of the box).  This wipes out all data on the hard drive, however, so make sure to back up your data if you have to recover anything.  You an pull the hard drive and connect it to another computer using an external drive enclosure if needed.

If the image restore partition (normally a hidden partition, so it does not have a drive letter) is not there or whatever reason, or the data on it is corrupted, then you would need to do a manual reinstall using the disks you received with the computer.  Doing the manual install will give you a 'clean' system, with no extra software.  This also means you would not have any of the software that was preinstalled by the factory unless you reload it.

0 Kudos
kevin27
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

im restoring now but should i downlaod up to date security as the laptop is a few years old, and a bit worried bout it being out of date?

the restore has just finished and now ive got a blue screen with

STOP:C0000221 {Bad Image Checksum} the image SHLWAPI.dll is possibly corrupt. the header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

anyone with any ideas what went wrong and how to fix it.

now ive turned off the computer and rebooted and now the screen stays black and dont do nothing,i am on xp and have no disk,ive tried downloading "ultimate boot disk" from majorgeek.com but it wont save to the computer im on so i can burn it and boot it on to the 6000.

im really struggling hear so any advice is more than welcome.please.thank you

0 Kudos
7 Gold

Jump to solution

Kevin, when you finish with this project, it might be a good idea to reply to your incomplete cleanup thread with bamajim.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19249344/19400780.aspx#19400780

He has not confirmed that you are finished yet and you may still have a vulnerability in there.

Windows Insider MVP 2016 - Present

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016

Social Media and Community Professional

0 Kudos
kevin27
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

ive been checkin the thread daily because i thought the same, but thought because it being new year he might of gone away or something and didnt want to keep posting and dont know how to get in touch with him.

and sorry to ask but noone really helping with this thread so i dont surpose you have any ideas.

would be a great help....

not to worry problem solved. i restored factory setting and all fine,but any advice on the best thing to do now,download and secruity wise would be great.:emotion-2:

View solution in original post