Highlighted
kwatson1981
Bronze

can't boot from my dell restore cd

Jump to solution

The hard drive on my dimension e510 died, so I just installed a new one. My problem is that I can't get my Dell OS CD for Windows XP to boot. I changed the boot sequence to boot from the CD drive. I can get the resource CD to boot, (so i know it's not a problem with my CD drive) but it will only run the diagnostic testing. When I put the OS CD in, it says "selected boot device not available". Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Kim

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Philip_Yip
Diamond

Re: can't boot from my dell restore cd

Jump to solution

You are holding F12 at the Dell BIOs screen?

It may be time to duplicate the CD (maybe to a blank DVD) see wiki here on nlite to do this (use another computer to do this).

Make a new DVD with SP3, IE8 and WMP11 and then try again with this DVD.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
kwatson1981
Bronze

Jump to solution

I have held f12 at the bios screen. I don't think I need to duplicate the CD, I've never used it before. I actually broke the seal on the envelope when I opened it.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
Diamond

Jump to solution

Do you have another computer you can try booting to that CD on?  It may be practically new, but that doesn't mean it works Smiley Happy

Do you have another bootable CD you can try - to make sure your CD drive is functional?  If not, download a Ubuntu CD or the Dell 32-bit diagnostics ISO to create a bootable CD (a CD writer is required, as is software capable of burning an ISO to CD like the built-in "copy/burn image to CD/DVD" in Windows 7  ... ISORecorder or CDBurnerXP.

F12 ... rather than "holding" it ... start tapping it about 1-2 times per second once you first see the prompt appear on the screen.  Let there be no mistake for the computer that you want to select F12!

0 Kudos
kwatson1981
Bronze

Jump to solution

I have tapped, i have held Smiley Happy I have no issue getting to where I need to be to boot, it just doesn't recognize the cd. I have a dell resource cd that will boot and run a diagnostic. you also have the option with the resource cd to press "q" to quit, and then a prompt comes up that suggests you get the help from dell support before proceeding.

I'm wondering if the os cd isn't being recognized because i'm missing drivers? i just don't know.

0 Kudos
kwatson1981
Bronze

Jump to solution

I have held f12 at the bios screen. I don't think I need to duplicate the CD, I've never used it before. I actually broke the seal on the envelope when I opened it.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
Diamond

Jump to solution

You can boot to your resource CD but not the OS CD ... your OS CD is bad.  Just because it is or looks new doesn't mean it works.

No drivers are needed to boot to CD's.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

kwatson1981,

Thank you for using the Dell Comunity Forum.

theflash1932 is correct. Your disk is bad. You can click on the link that natakuc4 provided in his link to get the disk replaced.

0 Kudos
kwatson1981
Bronze

Jump to solution

ok, thanks- I'll try requesting one!

0 Kudos
gcg123
Bronze

Jump to solution

I had similar problem with my Dell  XPS 400.  The computer setup showed I have a DVD drive but, I got the exact same message as you when I put the restore CD into the drive.  I came to this forum and several others looking for an answer and found none so I did some experimenting.  A few years ago I put an extra Memorex DVD drive into the computer so it had two DVD drives with the Memorex being the slave drive.  I disconnected the Memorex drive and connected it to a device that turned it into an external USB DVD drive.  The same restore CD that would not work in either of the IDE internal DVD drives WORKS GREAT IN THE EXTERNAL USB DVD DRIVE (which ironically was previously one of the internal drives).  Even as I write this, my computer is now formatting the partition to install the operating system, using the same restore CD that didn't work before.

Good luck,

Craig

0 Kudos